Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what's the difference between Airflo polyleaders, and Rio Versileaders. Also can this type of leader be used for dry line Steelhead fishing.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Read this with a major 'Grain of Salt.'

Personal opinion here only but I've used both extensively and one vs. the other I've found the AirFlo to be the 'tip of choice' on almost all of my rods. Float/sink just where I go.

fae

·
Fly Tyer/ Guide
21 Posts
I am going to Second Fred's post about Airflo Polyleaders being lighter than the rio counterparts. I have been switching on and off testing both in various sink ratings on my trout switch with a scandi compact and IMO the Airflo polyleader are noticeably lighter when casting.

I also don't know if it is just a confidence in the product thing, but I seem to have a much easier time turning over larger flies with the airflo.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Starting in 2014 nylon core on the standard Rio Poluleaders ( 6 and 10') is 0.019" vs. 0.016 on the oder one.

Even thought it is still described as 4 lb, it has to be 35 lb. As expect the newer poly are a bit stiffer too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David1123

I've never used them, but it seems to me polyleaders would work just fine for dry line steelhead fishing. Has anyone ever tried this.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Who makes big double taper fly lines.
No one that I'm aware of, most line makers provide DT's in light weights but they are almost impossible to find in 7wt and up. Too bad because DT's are excellent all around fishing lines. Cut the front taper off and loop it and the line and you can attach sink-tips, and they will turnover well, especially airflo replacement delta tips. Almost no stripping and the best line control available. my 2 cents.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
No one that I'm aware of, most line makers provide DT's in light weights but they are almost impossible to find in 7wt and up. Too bad because DT's are excellent all around fishing lines. Cut the front taper off and loop it and the line and you can attach sink-tips, and they will turnover well, especially airflo replacement delta tips. Almost no stripping and the best line control available. my 2 cents.
Plenty availability of DT lines up to #12, but none over that weight....

·
Fly Tyer/ Guide
21 Posts
I've never used them, but it seems to me polyleaders would work just fine for dry line steelhead fishing. Has anyone ever tried this.
I have fished a floating poly leader in summer for stealhead and it worked well. I also use it for river smallmouth and it does well.

They are pretty versatile and worth a shot for how little money they cost.

·
Registered
31 Posts
most line makers provide DT's in light weights but they are almost impossible to find in 7wt and up.
I found Cortland is making the 333+ longbelly up to 8wt. Unfortunately the line is only 84 ft long. I have no personal experience with the line, I was just curious about the lack of heavier weight lines and thought I would check.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
DT's for 2handers are 'rare as hens teeth.'

I found Cortland is making the 333+ longbelly up to 8wt. Unfortunately the line is only 84 ft long. I have no personal experience with the line, I was just curious about the lack of heavier weight lines and thought I would check.
Starting from 'Day One' the only place I've been able to access a true DT was out of the UK. But the "84 ft long" really caught my attention. Only lines I've ever run across the 'standard' was 90' for a single hander and 120 for a spey. Well speys you can actually get out to 150 feet if you want to 'pay up' for a Carron .... DAMNED GOOD DRY LINES! Woof-Woof!:smokin:

fae

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
David1123

I've never used then, but it seems to me using polyleaders is just about the same as dry line steelhead fishing.

·
noob
8 Posts
yep

"
"

i use an airflo 10' floating tip on my single hand 7wt for swinging hairwings. it turns over just fine on a rio salmon/steelhead wf7f, and especially well for when i have only a few feet of line out. its a little tough to remove memory on the poly when its super cold out. i use ab 4-6 feet of 10lb UG for tippet, loop to loop

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
Big chromers are built to take the memory loops out! 😜

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I've never used then, but it seems to me using polyleaders is just about the same as dry line steelhead fishing.
Ive never understood this - there must be a reason for looping a floating polyleader to a full floating line...
""

i use an airflo 10' floating tip on my single hand 7wt for swinging hairwings. it turns over just fine on a rio salmon/steelhead wf7f, and especially well for when i have only a few feet of line out. its a little tough to remove memory on the poly when its super cold out. i use ab 4-6 feet of 10lb UG for tippet, loop to loop
What does a polyleader bring that a tapered knotless/built leader can not accomplish?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts