Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing a lot of posts of late advising people to forego traditional tips and instead use sinking poly-leaders. I have used the poly-leaders off and on over the last few years and love the way they cast. From my experimentation though, they do not get down like a tip. For intermediate and slow sink (think type III) applications, I think they have an use. For use in place of Tye VI, VII, VIII or T-14 tips, I haven't found them to be as effective. I'm curious what others results have been using these.

·
Registered
260 Posts
For speylines I personally don´t like them that much, at least the Airflo Polyleaders, which is great with shooting heads. With speylines I feel things get a bit clunky, presentation suffers etc because of the finer front tapers. In Scandinavia people are crazy about polyleaders, maybe because 95 % of the salmon anglers use shooting heads. A polyleader sort of smooths the action of these often short and heavy heads, kind of slows them down as well as, practically, making them longer, since a polyleader really is an extension of the fly ine (in my mind) becasue of the greater weight compared to a mono or flourocarbon leader.

Way off topic: For my spey lines I recently tried adding about 1 meter (3 ft 4 inches) of heavy flourocarbon to the butt of my flourocarbon leaders and that seems to work great with spey lines. The reason for this is that you can´t get any tapered flourocarbon leaders longer than 12 or 13 ft, at least not over here. WHY is that? The Loop LNL 17 ft mono tapered salmon leader is a great leader. I´d like to see a similar dimension flourocarbon leader on the market. The reason people in other fly fishing fields use flourocarbon seems to be becuse of the advantage of stealth. But that doesn´t matter much when fishing for salmon (in most cases). I like it for salmon because it turns over well, it´s tougher, it keeps your light weight small summer fly down even when fishing floaters in fast runs and it gives you better contact with the fly (and the odd fish :rolleyes: ) than mono.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use shootingheads, and i always use polyleaders!

i cut and weigh my shootingheads, and count in the weight of a polyleader to match the shootingheads for the rods.

Polyleaders i think, dosent effekt the cast, and they make it abel to easely change the fishing deep, whitout chaning line.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Polys

I have been using polys this last WInter and I am very happy with the penetration. The Ultra Fast SCIERRA really gets down. I am sure a hunk of T14 will do even better but for my fishing I am rarely concerned with bouncing bottom anyway. Around here I useing a Sink2/Sink3 head with a fast sink or Ultra and I am getting all the fish I want and more.

For my $$ I do not use floating lines as a platform for sink tips anymore. If I only had one belly I would use an intermediate with variable tips. I really prefer the control I get with the sinking shooting heads and find I can fish a much slower sink rate and still get deep. I havent even tried the sink5 and sink6 lines.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and I am getting all the fish I want and more
Wow Jack, either you are easily satisfied or you are the second coming of inventor of the magic pink fly. Must be the SCIERRA products.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Don't think it's a mattter of Ployleaders vs. standard tips vs. full sinkers but rather using them where appropriate. I use all three with each bringing attributes that I can exploit. peter-s-c
as Simon would say "bang on"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts