Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a hint about how to strip the tungsten back on an airflo sinking polyleader please i'd like to uncover an inch or two of the core so I can tie a knot

i have uncovered a thread on the forum that suggests adding a piece of heavy butt to the poly leader by tying it on with an albright knot, but didn't see anything about how to strip off some of the tungsten coating.

thanks

garthman

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
Tie the albright right onto the coating, dont strip it back. Just cut it where you want it, then albright a loop on with 20 or 25lb Maxima.

Itll dig in real nice and hold firm, and also those poly leader cores are really thin so if you are using Maxima (youd be crazy to use anything else) youll get a better turnover to your fly as there will be no power lost in that thinner poly mono between the coated leader and the Maxima tippet.

I always do this with a polyleader, never fishing it with the provided loop, for the reason stated above.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Soak the tip length you want to strip in acetone. It will come right off.

Enjoy The Spey Journey,
sixheads

·
Registered
41 Posts
Stripping poly leaders

I use a thin section of mono, doubled over. I lay the doubled over mono underneath the poly leader, then run the tag ends over the poly leader and back through the loop of the doubled over end, then cinch it down until it's digging into the tungsten. I then pull the mono off the leader, stripping the tungsten off about an inch at a time until I have the desired length exposed.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Or you splice 20-25lb guedebrod over the end like used to be done before welded loops were the norm on fly lines, doesnt hinder the sink rate any, colour it with a sharpie marker and whip it off with thread and seal with some aqua seal, just about bullet proof and will last for longer than your poly leader will.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Oh and when you splice it, due to the poly leader being thin you literally pass up inside the spliced part as well so you don't have a gap between the end of where the fly line stops and the loop you made at the end of the guedebrod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts