Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering if you can use a sinking airflo poly leader on a floating windcutter line? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using a poly leader over a sink tip system?

I'm unfamiliar with these leaders but know that alot of peole use and like them, just not sure why.

thank you,
chris

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
For low water conditions ..

this type of material is my choice for a 'tip' if needed. Effectively they're an extra long 'leader' which may help in not 'spooking' fish.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Another reason

for using the poly, As Fred mentions, is as a leader. I frequently use a clear intermediate poly leader (10 ft) and then extend the tip with sections of Maxima to give a 15 foot plus leader. I find it turns over very well and gives just a little sink. This can help with plastic tubes that you want just below the surface in faster water.

They are also convenient and less bulky than a standard tip. Fred likes to use a section of Maxima between the line and the poly leader to get even better sink. Someone needs to compare that method with standard tips.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Poly Tips for Coho

I begged for Coho fishing help here last year and got a lot of great suggestions from the Spey Clave Sages. Stripping, as opposed to simply swinging the fly is preferred because Coho are chasers by nature. The poly tips are less likely to spook fish and when stripping better suited to keep you "in the zone". The stripping method with a Spey rod is another subject / challenge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts