Spey Pages banner

Skagit line usage

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot how to post a poll but I would love to hear from as many as possible in the comment section.

Poll: I use Skagit lines:

1) Very often...almost always

2) In moderation: part of my quiver but not a Skagit Nazi by any means.

3) Very Rarely: Only when the most extreme conditions dictate. ("I said I don't have much use for them, I didn't say I don't know how to use them") (BK)

4) Never: It goes against everything I believe in.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Easy one for me

Never

Does not fit my style or waters I fish

Wait Wait does Rage and Switch heads fall in Skagit Country.... I think not >:)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never

Does not fit my style or waters I fish

Wait Wait does Rage and Switch heads fall in Skagit Country.... I think not >:)
Rage can be Skagit if you line heavy or Scandi if underlined IMO.

Which Switch head? you might be a Skagit guy and not know it:hihi:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
You made me ponder my Preferences

Oh no they said this is possible...... LMAO

Orvis Switch I use it as a Scandi so I am thinking although I have Skagit tendencies I am a Scandi guy 0:)

Reactions: SkagitMiester

·
Registered
886 Posts
Like the poll says, only in extreme conditions (e.g. steep, rip rap banks where one more step and I will be in over my head) I do, however, use Rage's quite a bit but almost always with a 12'-15' tip (float - T8) to make a short belly. If at all possible I will use snake rolls and single speys, and lines that are most conducive to those casts, even with sink tips.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think it's about 50% skagit and 50% longer heads for me at this point. I do enjoy the scandi and midbelly lines, but I run into plenty of situations where I can't make those work with my current skill set. I've gotten enough muscle memory with the skagit heads, that the casting seems to be automatic now. Some days it's just nice to loop on a skagit head and get off to fishing without having to constantly think about and adjust my casting.

·
newcomer to spey casting
170 Posts
2. Part of my quiver, especially for warm water work. Try to use trout Spey tapers more often than Skagit. Still have use for Skagit.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
I think it depends on requirements - when and where and what for - more than is captured here. It is entirely possible to be 3 and end up using them the majority of the time for a given individual. Something roughly equivalent to asking “how often do you use a screwdriver when repairing stuff?” It seems from the poll options you are making it out to be a free choice of some kind, which it isn’t. Not always at least. Probably not usually for many people.

Probably a better breakdown in direction you at least appear to be nodding with this poll, especially with the phrasing of 3, would be to probe degrees of tendency to stick with a skagit head when there is a functionally better or equivalent solution for a given fishing problem that is NOT a skagit.

On a scale of 0 to 1 on this tendency I would put myself at 0.85, (1 being that I would immediately switch to something else when I could) but that doesn’t parse well with the above choices.

·
Hacker
570 Posts
Like the poll says, only in extreme conditions (e.g. steep, rip rap banks where one more step and I will be in over my head) I do, however, use Rage's quite a bit but almost always with a 12'-15' tip (float - T8) to make a short belly. If at all possible I will use snake rolls and single speys, and lines that are most conducive to those casts, even with sink tips.
Okay, I said never, but I do own a couple of Rage heads I have used with a 4wt.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Dead of winter when bigger flies are needed and a sink tip. Otherwise no. There not the most enjoyable lines to cast when using them for what they are meant to do but they do have a place and they get the job done. Even then I usually just use a WA 45 and a 15’ rio replacement tip with a unweighted fly. Some of the short thick heads out not are basically a dink float and then put some lead eye fly with lead wrapped up the shank tied on a jig hook and T14.Seems pointless to me just cut crap and use a centre pin setup at that point. Actually more enjoyable to cast and fish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2 for me. Generally I've used skagits for winter time and particularly cold fall days (freezing, winter like conditions). Outside of that, there are particular Steelhead situations where I'll throw a skagit, such as against rip wrap, tight cutbanks, or a hard seam beyond some dead water that might be difficult to fish without a mono running line. I also am planning to get a short skagit for my single hander to do some bass fishing in my area at some point soon.

For winter stuff I'd like to shift to a winter authority at some point, since back before skagits were available, I used to fished a cut short delta or loop adapted and really liked the way those cast. The WA head looks nice and versatile since I could keep the running like and swap out to a skagit if need arises.

·
fly on little wing
1,092 Posts
rarely to never. i don't own any. however, i occasionally use old WC with 2 tips, only using belly and some sorta sink tip from 5' to 24'.
anybody remember or still use the rio big boy 24' tips?
anybody remember or still use the rio 2 tip WC or MS lines?
very versatile set-up for sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
rarely to never. i don't own any. however, i occasionally use old WC with 2 tips, only using belly and some sorta sink tip from 5' to 24'.
anybody remember or still use the rio big boy 24' tips?
anybody remember or still use the rio 2 tip WC or MS lines?
very versatile set-up for sure.
I remember those lines, they even had the 'sink tip compensator' thing in them. I think I have one of the Wind Cutters kicking around at my parents house. My first line was an Accelerator that I struggled with for a while.

·
Registered
61 Posts
By nature of the area of where I live, the water is cold and deep, so I'm usually more successful with skagit lines. That being said, I will still search classic steelhead water first with Scandi's, before I resort to a skagit; I also find that I can get away with a rage head in a lot of cases.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use them when it’s the right tool for the job.
Some places I use them exclusively, some places I carry them as an option.
On my home water I generally carry a rod with a skagit and a rod with a short scandi so I can pick one for a given run.
I rarely get to travel to a place where they’re useless, but when I do it’s nice to be committed to a longer line.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had an old Rio Skagit 500 (27' head, integrated line) that I recently decided to cut down to 225 grn for streamer fishing. With a tapered sinktip (cut from a Rio 15' tip) so far its not too bad. I may try it this fall in Montana.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts