Spey Pages banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some Polar Bear Fur for sale, I would like to sell it in 1 square foot pieces
for $300.00 but open to offers
This bear was shot in 1961 and was a rug until the owner found out that the hide had dried out, the fur is still soft and supple, it ties nice
I have already sold 6 feet to some tyers in Washington state and they are very happy with the fur
contact me at [email protected]

Attachments

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Do you have CITES paperwork with this hide?

·
Registered
78 Posts
if it's before 72 it's legal to sell in the us. I just saw a website boone trading company. They sell polar bear for five buck a square inch.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
A website selling bearskin rugs, including polar bear, has listed a 10.5' snout to tailtip length - with 'useable' (for fly tying) fur area probably in the region of 45 to 60 of 12" x 12".

The whole rug has been reduced from $45,000 to ~$30,000

thus 50 of 12" x 12" @ $30,000 = $600 per 12" x 12"

This makes $300 per 12" x 12" (which is about $2.10 per square inch) sound 'reasonable' :eek:

I'm glad I got my already dyed polar bear patches (totalling around 12" x 12" for all the miscellaneous pieces) for ~$40 when I did!!

....whatever.....use it sparingly!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No
you only need the cite doc if you plan to sell or export out of the USA
I spoke to a F&G guy he said due to the fact it was a 1961 kill the cite was not required

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Nope.

did i read that correctly, $300 for a 1' X 1' square peice ?? :Eyecrazy::Eyecrazy:

I knew Polar Bear was expensive but DAMN !!!
A 'foot square,' not one inch square. That said, if 'legal' a hell of a deal. There is nothing like 'the real thing.' Amazing properties in a fly with a few strands of this in the 'over wing.'

MAGIC! Simply MAGIC.

fae

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
My local shop had a bear rug brought in last Fall and he bought it on the spot. I was one of two guys to get the first crack at the prime hair and i picked up 2 square feet for $220:smokin:
$300 per square foot seems a little steep,, even at todays inflated prices....just sayin
As Fred said,, on a fly,, there is nothing ike it!!!
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
50 Posts
A place to look fo yo legal bear

http://www.iflyshop.com/Polar-Bear-Hair-_p_350.html

Legal source of Polar Bear from Canada. I ordered some polar bear from this outfit in the past, and as I recall there was a wait but they came through.

My opinion about the property that makes polar bear desirable is that it is semi-translucent so light passes through it and the fly "lights up". The dyed material is not so good at this. Today there are many synthetics that have semi-translucent qualities so it is easier to get a similar effect on a finished fly without having the original polar bear. Also some genetic hackle capes are blessed with the same semi-translucent quality that lights up when light passed through the material.

The point is that you have quite a number of suitable substitutes: maybe not the real deal, but certainly workable. Oh, and it is important to point out that polar bear varies in quality, just like everything else.

·
Drags are for Sissys
311 Posts
details, details

Great material no doubt. In regards to the Cities ... How does one convince the authorities that the material is pre Cities?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I caution board members from using online sources for polar bear hair. About 1-2 years ago, I ordered a few pieces from a Canadian online store -- which may have been the one mentioned above -- and was stiffed. I paid about $30, received nothing, called half a dozen times, and was finally told my money would not be refunded even though I was sent nothing. Acknowledging that I would not receive any hair or a refund, the fellow with whom I spoke said: "Its only $30. What's the big deal." I was p***ed then and am even more p***ed now. My $0.02.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Acknowledging that I would not receive any hair or a refund, the fellow with whom I spoke said: "Its only $30. What's the big deal." I was p***ed then and am even more p***ed now. My $0.02.
I don't think i would have let that die quite so easy:mad::mad::mad:
Thats stealing,, and they should be held accountable!!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I agree with you Salmon Chaser, but holding them accountable is easier said than done. One of the negative things about the Internet is no addresses are necessarily available and real names are hard to come by as well. The selling company had two locations, one in Ontario and one in New York state. I was tempted to try to trace an address using the telephone numbers, but, unfortunately, the guy was right -- $30 wasn't worth my time.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Nor would I.

I don't think i would have let that die quite so easy:mad::mad::mad:
Thats stealing,, and they should be held accountable!!!
That's why I always use a credit card, even if the $$ are being passed through 'Another Vendor.' (Think Pay-Pal). Rare as it may be, and I do mean RARE, that I've a problem I don't give a rat's fanny about 'the other vendor,' I call my credit card company and put a 'squash' on the deal.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
No
you only need the cite doc if you plan to sell or export out of the USA
I spoke to a F&G guy he said due to the fact it was a 1961 kill the cite was not required
OK. assuming your un-named F&G guy actually knows what he is talking about and assuming he has the authority to make such a call (doubtful), do you have any paperwork to prove it was a 1961 kill?

Please don't take what I'm saying personally but you have 2 posts and you come out of the blue with polar bear claiming it needs no CITES as it's a 1961 kill.

Based on the above paragraph I would not buy anything from you. It would not be the first time the internet has been used by a federal law enforcment agency for a sting. Can you provide some references other then 2 posts on Spey Pages?

PS, big4jim, I am not trying to throw cold water on your sale. Your price is very good and if the quality is good you are offering a good deal. That being said dealing in this commodity is not as cut and dried as someone I don't know saying "it's all legal because so and so said so".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can you provide some references other then 2 posts on Spey Pages?
I have been a member here for just a little over a year and have no where near some peoples posts,and some may not even say I am a solid source for reference but I have bought multiple pieces from jim and have not been arrested(yet:hihi:) or had my door kicked in by F&G. The material is top notch takes color very well and ties very easily. It is the real thing(I used to tie for this old buck who used it in his golden demons instead of 7 GP crests) and if he still has some after I tie all this stuff up I will buy some more. Thanks Jim and good luck with your sales. -Matt-:smokin:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Poppy's absolutely right, IMHO. Better safe than sorry and be sure that you have undeniable documentation for the source as well as the date upon which it was acquired from the wild-that way you've got your ___ covered! Documentation should be "hard copy" that you can hold in your hand. It's just not worth the hassle that could result if the federal government should decide they want proof and decides to make a "test case" or example of you in order to discourage any illegal sales that may be occurring elsewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to help with the worry of not getting the bear fur I will use PAYPAL to invoice and transfer funds that way we are both protected

and I will cover all shipping costs

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have check on the price of PB and have found a shop that realy has some and the cheapest they were selling the short fur for was $50.00 per inch and they are not in the USA so they have to deal with the inport laws

any ways if someone wants to make me a offer on the rest of the fur I would make them a great deal and I mean a great deal

Jim

M

·
0 Posts
I guess the question to ask big Jim is

Are you legit or a federal sting operation trying to screw some tax paying US citizens around for buying something that is already dead? CITES in this case is BS, polar bear fur is legal almost everywhere except for the good old USA, sucks to be us, don't even talk about good cigars either

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.