Spey Pages banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught my first winter fish on a spey rod the other day.

We were fishing a coastal stream in Oregon from a drift boat. My fishing partner fishes gear, so it can be a challenge fly fishing in the boat beside him. While he was working us down stream to the next hole I found that I was able to effectively punch my sink tip forward into the pockets by the boulders. When I first started doing it, I really didn't expect much. I wasn't sure my tip was getting enough time to sink down into the fish zone, because we were zipping through so quickly. But in front of one of the ledges I cast to, my fly stopped and I was fast to a twenty six inch wild steelhead.

I was using a type three 15' sink tip and a 3/0 fly on a short leader. I have a thirteen foot Redington Red Fly spey rod. It is a fairly fast action rod and I think this helped on making these quick short casts. I believe that Having the long rod helped me leed the fly into these pockets better than a shorter rod would have. I may have just been real lucky and there is nothing to this technique, but I thought I would share in case any of you are in a similar situation and want to keep your fly in the water.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts