Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much debate has centered around what is a Skagit Cast. Which casters were involved in the development of the Spey style now called Skagit Casting? In another thread "Pacific Northwest Guides" are mentioned. Who would these people be, and who influenced them?

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
I was taught by a gentleman who, I believe, was the first to purchase a spey rod from Skagit Anglers. Skagit Anglers was where a lot of the so called Skagit lines were first spliced together. The person I am speaking of didn't guide but introduced a lot of us Skagit folks to the 2 hander and has since moved away from the area. He was mentioned in Dec’s book on the Skagit River. Homer knows who I am talking about and I think he may have started Homer out also.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Dana,

Folks like Mike Kinney, Joe Butorac (who despite his cantankerousness was very knowledgeable), George Cook, Harry Lemire, Jimmy Green, Marlow Bumpus, Ed Ward, John Farrar, and Bob Huddleson come to mind. There is also a fellow with the first name of Wayne, unfortunately, I can't think of his last name at the moment. I'm also sure there were others involved.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Russ, Wayne Klein is the name you’re looking for; he still lives in Clear Lake WA.

Wayne was the guy that showed me how to splice fly lines and make loops.

Like Kerry said there another name that hasn’t be touched on yet; Brad Adrian was the first to get a Sage 9140 (old handled type spey rod) from Skagit Angler in Mt. Vernon. I made a lot lines for Brad if you look at the new Rio “Skagit Spey” that’s what his line’s look like 27 feet of 14 weight; taper to Brad was a bad word!

Wayne was the guy who gave me my first lessons (mid to early 90’s) with a two-hander and Ed & Marlow where the first to cut up my brand new WindCutter (I thought those guys where crazy back then, how times have change).

Wayne was the guy who made me Ed Wards design of a 6 weight spey rod back in 1996 (?) which I still use today.

I believe that Dec, Ed, Scott and Brad where all in the Navy together at Oak Harbor.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
not sure about Ed,but pretty sure Dec and Scott were in the navy together near the Skagit.think the three of them lived together for a while.all got jobs guiding in Alaska.As I pointed out before,it is interesting that in spite of that closeness, there are differences in their styles.Beau

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Here is another tid bit. Bob Strobel and Harry Lemire bought their first spey rods not for themselves but for their wives. Their thinking was the longer rods and using two hands would make it easier for their wives to be able to cast the heavy sink tips needed to fish for winter steelhead. What a concept. Harry started tinkering with lines and developed the basic splicing method still used by most today.

The person we need here is Kim Weymouth, the owner of the now closed Skagit Anglers. He was ordering most of the stuff for all of these guys when it first got started and probably knows more about the history of spey casting on the Skagit then anyone.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Beau,

Brad Adrian was the one in the Navy with Dec and Scott. All three were stationed at Whidbey and none of them are PNW natives but arrived here via the Navy. I believe Brad is responsible for introducing both Dec and Scott to the spey rod or at the very least was right there with them when they started.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Al Buhr was there also with Lemire, Strobel and Green if I am not mistaken.
I think they were heavily influenced by Goran Andersson.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Brian,

Yep, Wayne Klein is the fellow I couldn't remember the last name of.

As far as I know, Brad, Scott, and Adrian were not involved in the beginning of the Skagit style and that they got involved around '92.

Marlow, we really need your input in this since I know you were involved in the beginning of it back in the '80's with Jimmy Green. Also, it seems to me Jim Vincent was fishing the Skagit back then, knew all of the guys, and could provide a lot of information on it too. Jim, we need your input as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Couldn't Mike Kinney shed a little light on this too? Seems like everytime Goran is in town, Mike will still corner him at one of the claves to pick his brain. Maybe a lot of the answers could come from the JIMMY GREEN MEMORIAL FLY CASTERS RENDEZVOUS on the 30th with Marlow and the wrecking crew.

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
I thought Al Buhr and Harry Lemire were big dry liners. I read that they were Skagit fisherman, but I didnt know they were developers of the skagit style of casting.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder who was involved in the designs of the original Sage two-handers? I know Jim Green was the designer of many, but were Lemire and Buhr involved too? Goran was involved in the "Euro" rods. Rod design is often a collaborative process among the designers and testers, each influencing the other. The old Sage 9140-4 had such a huge impact on PNW spey casting/fishing, and the folks involved with that rod clearly knew what they were about.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Buhr

Al played around with splicing lines in very possible way for the past 27 or so years. The skagit system used to be the old heavy winter line he and other splicied together back in the 70's and early 80's. He is not big on BIG dry lines. He uses the medium stroke with 45' - 55' foot heads mostly in his fishing, but he can throw big dry line 163' (I witness this great cast first hand). Most of the Saga rods out now have been TESTED and refined by Al. I took his line class in Salem this past winter; he knows lines weights, proflies, bellies, line diameter to weight relationships and what it takes to construct a line to cast properly. All this and he still can't walk on water. Klem

·
Registered
273 Posts
Friendship

Dana, talk to Al and get the story for him. I know he and Jimmy were great friends because they both loved to make lines. Jimmy and Al were line and rod nuts together for many years. They shared fishing time and discussed spey line formula throughtout their friendship. I believe it was a two way street for both gentlemen. Klem

·
Registered
44 Posts
KLEM, you are correct.

First; I thank those who believe I know so much but I am given way too much credit for my small contrabution to the sport. Most of what I know about lines, two handed rods and casting I learned from Jimmy Green and Al Buhr. Bob Strobel and Harry Lamire showed the epoxi (super glue) spice.

Though I fished the same waters of Northern California as Jimmy Green in the early days, I never met him until about 1990 when I started fishing the Snake River near his home. We soon became close friends. Though Jimmy had many friends willing to get involved, Al and Jimmy worked most closely design rods, reals, lines and spey casting styles. It was Al and, I believe, Dale Knoche who made his rod building equipment. This is why Al Buhr is the one person I can think of at the moment that could answer all the questions in this discussion.

I was pulled in to the "spey" group not long before I met Jimmy by some of the greats too mumerous to mention. But is was Jimmy and Al, who realy got me interested in the equipment and Al that most influenced my two handed casting. I know that Goran Andersson impressed Al and Jimmy. Jimmy talked about his early years in California when he made lines, as a manufacturer, and successfuly experamented with shooting heads. That would have to have been at least 50 years ago. I would watch him cast which is what got me interested but I couldn't afford the equipment then. I tried but the sticks I had, which included a car radio antenna, just didn't get the gob done.

See you on the River.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
After talking to a few guys over the last week (about lines and casting) Mike Kinney was the one who showed Wayne Klein witch Wayne showed me.

So Mike has been in the game for a long time (notice the grey hair he has?) lol. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
And then

there are those of us whose hair is not only grey, but gone!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.