Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First one tied on size 6 hook with a squirrel underwing and a sort of pheasant overwing.

Second one tied on #3 AJ.

Fishing these tomorrow on the middle to lower Rogue.

Tight lines all :smokin:

·
Banned
894 Posts
Your guys tying is very inspiring, great tie. Squirell is my favorite material next to seal fur to work with. I have a steady supply of squirrel tails from my boss's nut farm:D

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
sweet.

Liking those both, with the heads profile do you find that it dances a little more? Short and tall rather than tapered and short.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Liking those both, with the heads profile do you find that it dances a little more? Short and tall rather than tapered and short.
interesting thought, i'll try and compare. It just seems when there are more materials im trying to fit at that area i end up with a tall flat head. when tying speys and dees my heads end up more narrow and smaller overall. Never really thought to see if it made a difference in the swim. I'll experiment some and report back.

Thanks all, these were fun to try, first time using this material as wings.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
interesting thought, i'll try and compare. It just seems when there are more materials im trying to fit at that area i end up with a tall flat head. when tying speys and dees my heads end up more narrow and smaller overall. Never really thought to see if it made a difference in the swim. I'll experiment some and report back.

Thanks all, these were fun to try, first time using this material as wings.
They are nice heads no doubt. And I can say some of the old Dee patterns actually call put a bulky head for that effect, which is why I asked. Pulse pulse twitch twitch...

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
They are nice heads no doubt. And I can say some of the old Dee patterns actually call put a bulky head for that effect, which is why I asked. Pulse pulse twitch twitch...
Our fore-fathers understood the bulky head caused turbulence behind it which caused a pulsing and flowing effect on the materials behind :smokin:

The tiny head on a fly is a modern day tying fad and it doesn't add any "fishing" value to the fly .

These flies are gorgeous !!! A true blend od hair and feathers .... fantastic creations !!

Mike

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Your guys tying is very inspiring, great tie. Squirell is my favorite material next to seal fur to work with. I have a steady supply of squirrel tails from my boss's nut farm:D
That's the craziest thing I have ever heard!!! Easily 2 of my top 5 least favorite!!

As always Matt, great work! Incredibly creative!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts