Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I was given a bunch of polar bear in different colors recently and I wanted to use some in larger flies.... these are what I ended up doing. Kinda another mishmash with elements from the Hoh-Bo, General Practitioner and just about everything else! embossed tinsel body with large oval rib, seal dub/dub ball up front with a polar bear under wing and a pheasant overwing.

Cheers.
J.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Naw Fred.... You just gotta sneak up behind them a grab a little bit! No worries tho, they are super friendly... ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
James, those look superb as usual!! I'm tying up some similar right now. Do you find the shank flips over and rides eye down so you put the wing on the opposite side, or was that a conscious decision to put the wing on that side and make it swim eye down?

Mike

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MikeB.

I have never noticed a fly with a down eye not swimming properly. The "shanks" these are tied on are old heavy wire mustad downeye hooks that have been cut off. So... I guess it was intentional ;)

J.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
These have a very Ostoj esque feel for me and that is a huge compliment if you ask me! Just awesome stuff here.

Fred, polar bear is not completely illegal in the states. I have had chunks of PB that is a part of alaska native art and there are many pre '72 bears that are chopped up and sold with documentation (I've seen in person a whole hide sold in the presence of a federal warden to verify legality less that two years ago). Just about every fly shop in AK sells legal bear from fish Hunter... It's not like heron or eagle that you just can't touch...

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
James, I'm not sure they will catch fish at all - you'd better send them straight away to me for full testing on my (your!) cane rod! :chuckle::chuckle:

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup, these look great, bright, colorful and buggy looking.

Just about every fly shop in AK sells legal bear from fish Hunter... It's not like heron or eagle that you just can't touch...
Sorry to detract and go off topic but this is simply not true and I respectfully disagree with you. I've been in nearly every fly shop in Alaska at some point or another and only once, in the past 15 years have I ever seen polar bear sold. And even then, it was on the shelf for maybe two weeks and NOT because it sold out. This I know as fact.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Mountain view sports, mossys, worldwide, and 3 rivers. I have personally purchased PB from all four of those shops... Just sharing my experience...

Thanks for sharing these James!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts