Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to KC for work for 2-3 weeks. Will have a few days here and there to fish. Where is a good place to go swing a fly?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Driving South to the Ozarks is probably your best bet. I know folks swing for browns in the tailwater below Tablerock Dam and there are a bunch of rivers that have smallmouth bass. There is a good Orvis affiliated fly shop near Tablerock Dam that would be worth talking to. KC proper has 2 basspros and a Cabelas but I doubt anybody there knows anything about fly fishing (let alone Spey).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Agree with JMA

Fish Lake Tanneycomo - the tailwater right below Tablerock Dam. There is decent flow in this area and you can swing some big streamers. This time of year you will have a shot at some big browns that move up towards the dam to spawn. Best bet is to fish at night in my opinion but I am sure you can do well during the day as well. Water is fairly easy wading, mostly gravel.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tanneycomo if there is low generation, would be closest good trout fishing. Tanneycomo is a short reach of the White River above Lake Tanneycomo in Branson, MO.

If you have time to drive another 1.5 hours and want to try another spot then fish the White River in AR below Bull Shoals Dam.

Both are tail waters that can fluctuate quite a bit. So be careful.

Check out the website for Steve Daly's Ozark Fly Fisher. He gas a good app with links to the dam gauges. Give the shop a call for further info, they are good guys!

·
Registered
92 Posts
north central arkansas

The White river at bull shoals dam and the Norfork river at Norfork dam near Mountain home arkansas. In my oponion these are the best tailwaters east of the mississippi. spawning browns are very aggressive and a swung fly shoud work great. If you go, watch your step in the shoals, it can be tricky wading. good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts