Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this fly on page 108 in Bob Veverka's book and just had to give it a go. Only thing I omitted was the green floss in the tail area. Tied on a 1/0 Partridge Bartlett XL blind eye.


 

·
Undertaker
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
kings man, kings

Not sure what Veverka's intent was in designing that fly, but black and pink flies really seem to attract Chinook. Gorgeous dressing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm going to try tying the "Purple Ghost" next found on page 129 of Bob's book. :)
 

·
Pullin' Thread
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
Very, very nice.

I prefer to see the body and topping body veilings tied in the manner of the GHOST, the classic salmon fly the PINK GHOST and PURPLE GHOST are based upon. The GHOST has a 2-part body with the rear section taking up 40% of the body, and the front the other 60%. The topping body veilings on the GHOST are tied-in, top and bottom at the end of the rear body section and are just slightly longer than the ostrich butt.

This said, I also prefer to see the GHOST and these two modern versions/variations tied a dee or spey (the GHOST with its bronze mallard wing) flies, which is different from the original GHOST that was tied as a normal rolled wing classic wet with normal length hackle and wing. I think they fish and look better with classic spey and dee style proportions and hackling.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top