Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trick of sorts I have been trying lately to keep wing feathers together when securing with success is using Veniard's fly tying wax to the rear side tip of each wing feather. Works quite well. Anyone else doing this or something similar?

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Nice tying :)

After seating the saddles, do you run the saddle stems down through the eye and fold to the underside of the head to lock in the saddles ??
If the saddle stems are thin enough, I will fold them over on the top side and lock them in with tying thread. Makes for a very durable fly :)
In the past I have had saddles come off the fly after a full day of swinging. What I thought were tight wraps, the river proved me wrong. I do this with JC nails as well and all other cheek feathers.

Mike

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, I always fold the stems back on themselves and tie thread over, but not through the eye first. Good suggestion, I will try that.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mike, I always fold the stems back on themselves and tie thread over, but not through the eye first. Good suggestion, I will try that.
My ONLY complaint about the Blue Heron hooks is that the eye isn't quite big enough to allow four stems to pass through. It's the price paid for very elegant eye.

And that's a great looking fly.

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
My ONLY complaint about the Blue Heron hooks is that the eye isn't quite big enough to allow four stems to pass through. It's the price paid for very elegant eye.

And that's a great looking fly.
For the most part, you are correct. I've had some very thin stems that passed through easily.
Also if you only use one feather per side, two stems will pass through. This does make for a somewhat transparent wing when wet, but it's pretty cool though, especially if tented a-la Glasso and will allow the body colour to be seen more.

You can also fold back the stems on themselves and then wrap a collar after. This will hide the bulk of the tied in stems and you will be left with a smaller head after tying off the collar hackle.

Mike

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rather than passing the stems through the eye, do you think a small dab of instant glue after initially positioning the saddles and then wrapping over would secure as well?

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Rather than passing the stems through the eye, do you think a small dab of instant glue after initially positioning the saddles and then wrapping over would secure as well?
I'm not a fan of glue, I put little faith in it when it comes to tying. By all means, give it a go and see how it works for you :)
I would rather fold back the stems and know that it is a physical secure fix.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts