Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reviving this older thread to get opinions on YOUR favorite place to pinch off the shooting line before THE cast and why?---I was thought to pinch the shooting line with the index finger of the TOP hand, however recently have seen and been told that it's better to pinch off with the bottom hand against the the ball end of the cork.--This requires a "slight" pressure on the shooting line with to top hand, running the line under the reel, and then pinching off as described above.--I have tried BOTH ways, and prefer using the bottom hand.--WHY?---just feels better IMHO?-----Thoughts??

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
If memory serves JD Jones uses the bottom hand, I the top.

It's just what you feel comfortable with I guess. The real difference is he will hold all his shoot line in coils out of the water (think that's right) and I'll drop my loops into the water as I enter the cast.

Will one vs the other give you more 'distance' in your cast? Probably, but on the upper Rogue 90+ will put you in the trees on the other side of the river in many places. :roll:

End game is what ever floats your boat.

fae

·
Registered
547 Posts
pinch off with the bottom hand against the the ball end of the cork.--This requires a "slight" pressure on the shooting line with to top hand, running the line under the reel, and then pinching off as described above.--Bill
Bill, especially since I've started to use mono running line, I do similar to what you do. i.e. pinch off with the top hand, run the line under the reel and pinch off with the bottom hand index finger against the "ball end of the cork". Only if I get sloppy with this do I ever get slippage. I do have the loops of line in the water.

Others, think Ed Ward, hold these loops in their top hand thus keeping them off the water, and pinch off with I believe their thumb on top of the fore grip. I've tried this a few times but have trouble transferring the loops from my left hand to the top of the fore grip of my right hand to pinch them. Just find it awkward. More practice would no doubt help.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
For what it's worth, I pinch with my right index finger (top hand). Ever with OPST Lazer line, I rarely have any problems with slippage except when wearing mittens or gloves. For those cases, I pinch with index and middle fingers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting, I thought slippage was just something that I did. I like the Guideline shooting line but switched to Gripshooter just because of slippage. Hold with index finger upper hand, right. Have some arthritus in those fingers and the grip could be better.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I use mono shooting line on one of my favorite summer rods. I had troubles initially with the mono slipping from under my upper index finger. I wrapped about two inches of the upper grip with rubber tape---the stuff looks like electrician's tape, but is soft rubber. Problem solved.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For an upper hand hold, a two handed strip with the rod tucked up under your arm makes it easier to hold the loops in your right hand without having to transition from left to right. It's also faster, if you know that the water you are stripping the fly through doesn't hold any fish, you can retrieve a lot of running line quickly.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have cast very heavy shooting heads when fishing saltwater and holding mono shooting line is difficult and eventually painful. I have tried this only twice so far but I took thick mono and made two loops to it so it became about rod length and put it between shooting line and shooting head. For a cast I put my top hand thumb thru the bottom loop and straighten thump when releasing. It took few casts to get used to it and thumb skin got bit sore but line did not slip anymore. Only problem is that adjusting overhang require this "cadget" to be changed to different length one.

Esa

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
For my style: line under the trigger finger of the top hand. Loops under one finger of the lower hand.

Why? Unless you have physical damage your trigger finger is your most sensitive finger. You will have more control with it. If it is cold enough for numb fingers I add the next finger to increase pressure and grip.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,024 Posts
Just watched the Ed Ward video on the OPST site where he explain how it is better to use the thumb on top of the grip of your top hand because of strength. Not sure how he does that in a natural movement, but I will have to try it.

Leo

·
Registered
85 Posts
I usually pinch with my top index finger but when using Grip Shooter, the line making up the first loop is thicker than the subsequent loops and it caused problems for me. Now, I pinch the first (coated) loop with my index finger and hang the second or third loop off my little or ring finger of my bottom hand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put my top hand thumb thru th and straighten thump when releasing. It took few casts to get used to it and thumb skin got bit sore but line did not slip anymore. Only problem is that adjusting overhang require this "cadget" to be changed to different length one..???

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
When using 50 lb mono RL, like Compline or flat Sawada beam, one way to increase friction is to run very gently 2 times 200-300 grit sand paper over the line ( on each side) in places it is pinch ( a few feet up and down). The loss of diameter and strength is marginal on 50 lb line. Holding iit n even in cooler weather is much !!!!! easier, specially when RL goes over the reel for extra friction.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm with Yeti. I pinch on upper upper hand except I normally use both index and middle fingers to pinch. I hold the loops in my bottom hand. Seems to work well for me. Even in the winter I get very little slippage with mono.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts