Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with this large 11/12 arbour reel?
The salesman showed me how the spools are freely interchangeable with an large arbour orvis model double the price.
Hmmmm .................it seemed to balance a 15 foot 10 weight TFO rod quite nicely.
I am interested fishing chum (15-25 lbs)in the kitemat river BC
I am a novice and have yet to purchase my first spey rod/reel.
I am interested in opinions of those familiar with this reel and or rod.
Would this be a wise entry level choice?
Would a 14 foot 9 weight be better choice?
I am past my mid sixties and medium build. Someone suggested that a 15 foot 10 weight might be too much weight for me to handle hour after hour.
Please give me better suggestions for decent quality entry level equipment.
Thank you for your time.
Shrike

·
Registered
56 Posts
The reel is popular here in the UK and I would recommend it. A 14' rod for a 9/10 line would be easier for you hour after hour without doubt. There's very little to choose in distance going to 15' and the weight penalty isnt worth it IMO

·
Registered
234 Posts
Shrike,
I am a fan of these reels. I own a set from the 3/4 up to the 12. My father just passed away and inherited another 12. Last year I landed many fish included chinook salmon in the 30lb class range on this size. The drag is smooth, even when totally wet and a hard running fish. The reel balances well on my 12'6"/6, 13'/7 and a 14'/9 TFO (w/ 200yds 20lb backing). Have used the 9/10 size for salmon and cutthroat trout off the local saltwater beaches. A good wash down and ready for the next time. They also look nice on the rod.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Would a 14 foot 9 weight be better choice?
I am past my mid sixties and medium build. Someone suggested that a 15 foot 10 weight might be too much weight for me to handle hour after hour.
Please give me better suggestions for decent quality entry level equipment
I still believe if you are only going to have one spey rod (at least to start) it should be a 14'-9/10.

The TFO rods as well as the Echo Classic rods are great casting rods with "NO BS" fast turn around warranties and an easy on the pocketbook price, $269.95usd for the Echo Classics and $274.95usd for the TFOs.

For a new caster I'd recommend the 14' TFO with an 9/10 short head or midhead. The 14' Echo Classic with a short head or midhead 9/10. Also the TFO 13'9" "scandi" rod with a short head 9/10.

Any of the above rods balance nicely with a 4" reel. Besides the Pflueger already mentioned two more reels I would look at would be the Okuma Integrity LA 10/11 and the Dan Bailey #3.

The best way to find out if this tackle "will work for you" is to tell the salesman you want to take a take drive on your local water.

·
Registered
663 Posts
TFO 14' 9wt

I just purchased my first spey rod 2 nights ago. I got the TFO 14' 9wt. I see that spey line are different that regular fly line. I would like to know, for a beginer what would be the best fly line for me to start with. I got the rod for 112 us dollars and got me a cortland magnum 200D for 55 us dollars new. Now all I need is some backing and line and I am ready to go pratice. I have several fly rod but this is my first spey.

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
323 Posts
Trion 1912/TFO 15/10

Last two years I have used a Trion 1912 with a TFO 14/9 and the combination has worked flawlessly. During the two years I have landed too many Chum to count along with a good number of Chinook to 40 pounds and a good number of winter Steelies. Although the TFO 15/10 is a nice casting rod that handles a variety of different line weights I would say that the 15 footer does not fall into the all day everyday rod for a person of your build.
As mentioned above the TFO 14/9 or the Echo 2 14 9/10 would fit the requirements without breaking the bank.

Ian

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
As mentioned above the TFO 14/9 or the Echo 2 14 9/10 would fit the requirements without breaking the bank.
Ian, The Echo 2's are the scandi rods and are only available in 12'4"-7wt or 8wt and 12'6"-9wt. The 14'-9/10 rod is the Echo Classics, all really great rods.

Idboone, You got a great deal on your rod/reel. The Cortland Magnum 200d was/is a really nice spey with a lot of class. It is to bad we can't get them here in the US any longer.

For a line I would buy a short head spey line in 9/10. Several makers build these lines, Jim Teeny, Airflo, Rio, SA, Cortland, and Monic to name a few.

·
Registered
663 Posts
cortland magnum 200D

I bought this reel from the orvis discount store. The have orvis products at discount prices. I originally bought this reel with plans on selling it on the net. I read on here about someone who was using it on a spey rod and decided to hold on to it. They had another one there and the also had a magnum 140 D. I didn't know much about these reels. I just know it said 50% off. :eek: That was all I need to see.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for the fast and many encouraging responses to my inquiry.
Sooo...................the Pflueger Trion 1912 is to be paired with the TFO 9 weight rod. The TFO office man I spoke to in Calgary told me the rod is a "classic" spey action, if I am right that means a slow full flex action?
Looking in the catalogues for line, would the RIO windcutter spey line with the interchangeable sink heads be a good choice for this rod? It is regarded as short (54 ft.) sized head right? Then do I get a 8/9/10 or 9/10/11 line for that rod? I am led to believe I need to use sinktip lines in the Kitemat river.
The cortland spey lines are not locally available and would be a special order item in this town.
I envision myself, if I am right, starting with the rol cast/single spey/double spey/snakehead casts for starters. I can practise in May when the ice gets out of the North Saskatchewan river here in Edmonton.
I bought a VCR "international spey casting " by Jim Vincent and Simon Gawesworth as well as Simon Gawesworth's book to help me in my anticipated practice.
Would appreciate comments on line make and type some of you use in your spey casting and whether that would be suitable for this here novice.
Thank you for helping me out.
Shrike

·
Registered
323 Posts
TFO 9/14 lines

Rio Skagit 650 plus 15 foot tip total weight 875 grains, heavy but effective for very large flies.
RIO Windcutter 9/10/11 floater cut 8 feet back then 15 foot tip weight somewhere around 800 grains
SA short head spey 9/10 floater cut back 15 feet then loop for tip attachment
Airflo short delta 9/10 floater cut back 15 feet then loop for tip attachment

Make your own tips from bulk T14 or T8 for lighter tips buy nine weight RIO factory tips.

Some may go with lighter lines on the TFO but I find loading it up with heavier lines coupled with an easy casting stroke lets you fish all day every day without tiring oneself out.

Ian

·
Registered
26 Posts
shrike said:
Thank you guys for the fast and many encouraging responses to my inquiry.
Sooo...................the Pflueger Trion 1912 is to be paired with the TFO 9 weight rod. The TFO office man I spoke to in Calgary told me the rod is a "classic" spey action, if I am right that means a slow full flex action?
Looking in the catalogues for line, would the RIO windcutter spey line with the interchangeable sink heads be a good choice for this rod? It is regarded as short (54 ft.) sized head right? Then do I get a 8/9/10 or 9/10/11 line for that rod? I am led to believe I need to use sinktip lines in the Kitemat river.
The cortland spey lines are not locally available and would be a special order item in this town.
I envision myself, if I am right, starting with the rol cast/single spey/double spey/snakehead casts for starters. I can practise in May when the ice gets out of the North Saskatchewan river here in Edmonton.
I bought a VCR "international spey casting " by Jim Vincent and Simon Gawesworth as well as Simon Gawesworth's book to help me in my anticipated practice.
Would appreciate comments on line make and type some of you use in your spey casting and whether that would be suitable for this here novice.
Thank you for helping me out.
Shrike
here is what Simon recommends for the 14' #9 Pro TFO rod.

A WindCutter 9/10/11 for beginners in spey casting and the 10/11/12 for mid to advanced casters. This line will give you a head length of 16.5 meters or 54ft 6 in
the MidSpey also is a good choice a 9/10 for beginning casters and the 10/11 for mid to advanced casters, the head length on this line is 19.8 meters or 65ft
And for those that really want a work out you can go for the GrandSpey A 9/10 for beginners and the 10/11 for advanced casters this will give a head length of 30.3 meters or 100ft
you can also use an Outbound WF12F for overhead casting, the head length is 11.4 meters or 37.5ft
if you are going to be using sinking tips the interchangeable lines are good, or you might consider buying a less expensive non changeable tip line and then getting a Skagit system. Simon recommends a 650grain with a 10 foot cheater for the 14ft 9w then you just need a tip kit to select the tip of your choice.
I like the MidSpey line for this rod without tips. I also use the Skagit system with this rod when I want to fish with sinking tips, the Skagit is easier to bring up and turn over than the WindCutter or the MidSpey with changeable tips. of course this is just my ever so humble opinion.:razz:

·
Registered
913 Posts
SpeyH20 said:
here is what Simon recommends for the 14' #9 Pro TFO rod.

A WindCutter 9/10/11 for beginners in spey casting and the 10/11/12 for mid to advanced casters. This line will give you a head length of 16.5 meters or 54ft 6 in
the MidSpey also is a good choice a 9/10 for beginning casters and the 10/11 for mid to advanced casters, the head length on this line is 19.8 meters or 65ft
And for those that really want a work out you can go for the GrandSpey A 9/10 for beginners and the 10/11 for advanced casters this will give a head length of 30.3 meters or 100ft
you can also use an Outbound WF12F for overhead casting, the head length is 11.4 meters or 37.5ft
if you are going to be using sinking tips the interchangeable lines are good, or you might consider buying a less expensive non changeable tip line and then getting a Skagit system. Simon recommends a 650grain with a 10 foot cheater for the 14ft 9w then you just need a tip kit to select the tip of your choice.
I like the MidSpey line for this rod without tips. I also use the Skagit system with this rod when I want to fish with sinking tips, the Skagit is easier to bring up and turn over than the WindCutter or the MidSpey with changeable tips. of course this is just my ever so humble opinion.:razz:
SpeyH20, you have Simons recomendations backwards, The A lines are recomended for mid to advanced casters and the B lines for beginners to mid casters.;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
OOps could have sworn Simon told me as I wrote it:roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts