Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I head out for winter steelheading in a couple months I'd like to be equipped with a personal floatation device. One that is of high quality standards and less intrusive than say a full chest vest type. I've heard the brand 'Mustang" is highly regarded. Any others?

Thanks all!
gm

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Mustang is the golden standard brand in floatation devices, although a bit more pricey. The CO2 cartridge inflator vests are very comfy to wear and do their job once inflated. They usually come in 2 models: 1- Auto inflators: these have a salt based puck in them which disolveds when it makes contact with water and autoinflates your vest - great safety feature if you fall unconcious, sucks if you slightly slip and get the puck wet as it will auto inflate, 2- manual inflators: you need to pull a cord to inflate - sucks if you are unconcious, but will not accidentally inflate on you.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Mustang, You don't even know you are wearing one they are that light and unobtrusive, Simon D"s post is spot on and the auto inflate ones also have a pull cord so you can inflate them. A little more pricy but worth it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been using the Mustang Khimera. It has enough foam buoyancy to keep you buoyant, but also has a manual c02 inflator for even more floatation if you go in. It's low profile enough and has generous shoulder cutouts so that it doesn't effect my casting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts