Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peter -

According to the casting weight formula, how does a 65ft 560 grain head (7/8 Midspey) compare to a 90ft 790 grain head (6/7 XLT)?

thanks in advance

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually I haven't tried it yet, but I want to try a light summer-weight extended belly line on the 15'2" Solstice Series final prototype rod.

The graphite on these new sticks is the same as the Atlantis but coming from this summer weight mandrel it feels supple and at the same time very tight on the delivery and recovery. I've been playing with a stroke that loads the blank deeply through the acceleration and upon the stop the loop seems to shoot out and come to a sharp focus point quite far out there - 80-90 feet out, which "kicks" the cast tight as a rope out to full distance. So far I have been playing with mid-length lines but would like to try an extended belly on these long summer rods to see how that translates to 90-100 foot heads with continual taper and matching grains.

If a factory line doesn't match the rod, I will be building one because this rod screams for a long light line on a big summer run river.

Thanks for the feedback, I will try the 6/7 XLT!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts