Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Iam interest to saw this cast how it works.
May be any one now a Video clip in the net where I can see them or now`s a DVD that I can buy where the cast is on.

Thanks Taki

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Taki -

We are in the midst of a server upgrade that will allow us to host more casting videos than ever before.

Please search on the topic and read the descriptions until we complete this upgrade. You will be able to view the video at that time.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Taki, your "quest" is justified.

I'd been wondering how to do this cast FOR EVER .... Ed Wood took the mystery out of it at the Sandy 'Clave. If you use heavy tips/Big Boys it's the sweetest cast going.

With the spring kings and heavy water this is 'my' go to cast for tips from 300 grains up to the 600 grain RIO BB.
fae

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Guys

I know this is old stuff, but I couldn’t find instructions for the Perry Poke using the search function. Lots of references to it, but no instructions. I saw it at the Sandy River Clave this spring, and could do it then….but…..

Do I have this right?

The cast is used in the way a single spey is ie:upstream wind.
River left, right handed caster
Sweep upsteam so fly ends up slightly upstream of you
“dump” line in front of you, more or less in line with your target
Form D loop and cast

Thanks
Lon

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
That will work, but I do it slightly different.

I begin the cast as you've noted above but follow through with a 'dump switch cast' 15-20 feet slightly up stream and out from me. Then back around with the rod tip as you'd complete a single/double spey.

This may not be the 'perfect way' to do the cast but it allows for a lot of line and a very heavy tip to be set up on the water for the shoot. The Perry Poke is a grand recovery cast where you blow a 'regular cast;' which we all do.
fae

Ps: keep me posted on your trip to the Rogue. Your "Indian Guide" awaits you. Also here in the immediate area is J D Jones, Nate Bailey and Bob Meiser. We all fish together frequently. A mini-spey clave.
:smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Very Cool! Cast, as noted earlier, is one of the

easyest to pull off and a great one for tips ... as you'll find out when we hit the river in a few days. Looking forward to meeting you/family on the 14th.

Fred

1 - 8 of 8 Posts