Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe looking to purchasing one of these...anyone own one or tried one.
Any infor would be great!

thanks

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
Great looking reels. I was thinking about those as well. I was considering the Bellinger reels as well.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I don't own one but have played around with one a few times on the river. My comments are for the click drag not the disc. They are ok reels I guess but I was not wowed by them. I know some guys like them though so to each their own.

·
Registered
599 Posts
peerless spey

I bought one of these reels about six years ago. Was very disapppointed with the quality of he finishing. There were rough file marks in several spots. Overall I felt the finish quality was very poor. The drag system (clicker type) was fine as long as with the S handle. However for a reel that cost $600 at that time, it didn't come close to modern standards. I sent the reel back and did receive a refund. To bad and perhaps I just got one that was a fluke, but I didn't care for it. Too bad cause it was such a classic looking reel.

Rphelpw

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have owned the 4a spey for about 5 years now and no problems to speak of so far. It does have very good capacity when it comes to extended belly long lines, also it is very light this could be good or bad depending on your preference. The finish does not really compare well with other "S" handle reels on the market as others have stated. I would definately look at some of the other reels available now before you spend the money on one of the classic style reels. There are some very good reels to choose from such as the loop Dana mentioned.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dana said:
If you are looking for a classic style with a modern sealed drag, keep the LOOP Classic in mind. These should be available in BC in the coming weeks.

Dana, you're correct. That is a beautiful reel; any idea what the pricing line will be?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I own a Peerless No. 6 Salmon reel and use it on my 14' #9, although it would better suit a 13'. The reel has a cam type drag system like the Vom Hofe which is more than enough for steelhead (greatlakes river systems anyways), but i did hear of one smoke up on a big king Salmon and i guess i have yet to find out:devil:. Overall its a good reel for the money when compared to the bogdans etc. so i don't think you would be making a mistake. The loop reels are nice too, but they are just "classic looking" reels with a modern design underneath, which is probably more dependable (but we have yet to find out).
In the end its all about what you would feel comfortable fishing with. Good Luck.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Mohlin

I have one of Bo's reels and I am quite fond of it. It is smooth as silk, has the classic look and is loud enough to make a Perfect addict like myself smile.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Given my name and an attractive price on a click and pall version,I had to get a Bo reel[even though he spells his name wrong].I had a slight problem with a pall screw.solved with locktight.Very nice reel!I would have acquired another one in slightly larger size,but the price is nearly double what I paid for first one.Very happy with the workmanship.beautiful reel.Works great.Beau

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
The smallest size that would work for spey would be around $800 and the largest close to $950. It depends on exchange rates.

One other handmade classic style reel to consider is the Olson reels. They are a bit more but from all accounts, they are worth it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
since u have to order the mohlin reels from over seas, i was wondering about duty and such things to consider.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Mohlin Reel

Abito,

Google Bo Mohlin and you will find his dealer in Europe. I ordered some ferrule wax from them a few weeks back. We exchanged emails and relevant information, and it was a seamless transition.

Regarding Bo Mohlin's work, I owned one of his click/pawl reels for a brief period last year (still wondering what weak moment caused me to sell). His work is first class & I hope to add another one to my collection as soon as funds permit.

Good luck,

Chris

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I have it on good authority that the maker of Olson reels is taking some time off from reel making so my post above will not be an option for awhile.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Mohlin

Since I was in contact with the Mohlin dealer last year he recently notified me that Bo will be making a batch of spey sized reels shortly. He's taking orders.

·
Registered
128 Posts
abito said:
how much is a mohlin reel in a spey size anyways?
I talked with Erik van de Berg (the contact you're likely to get to through the website) last week, and the Em Salmon models will run 940.00 USD with the current exchange rates, plus 30 bucks for shipping, makes it 970.00 USD. That price includes a very nice hand-tooled leather reelcase. From what I could see browsing the web the Mohlin's have some fo the nicest finishes out there. They're reasonably light too for a classic style reel.
dan'l

1 - 20 of 22 Posts