Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
Looking for some thoughts on the 4A as well as the #6. At 10oz's, the #6 should balance ok with a 12' 6" 9wt, right? what about the 4a at 8.3oz?? seems light doesnt it? Would it be too light for the rod mentioned(Diamonback Salmon/Steelhead).
Pro's and con's regarding these reels are welcomed. Thanks lads, Iam new to this game and trying to get a feel, especially as to the gear that i like(4A).
I've seen the #6 for sale a few times but not the 4A, anyone know of any around? That goes for the #6 as well.
Thanks
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Hey Salmo

The 6 is a little on the small side. Has a super cool drag though, and I'd love one, but not for a spey reel. I've been drooling over the 4A for a long time. Yes it's light, and the drag is not anything to get excited over, but it will hold any line I'd ever want to use, and just plain looks right on a spey rod, just like the Bougle looks right.

If the 6 really meets your needs go for it, but a standard arbor reel with a 3.5 inch diameter that holds a standard weight forward 10 line and 200 yards of 30 lb? Not for me partner...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Salmon Chaser (arent we all)

Anyway I dont blame you for wanting a Peerless, they are nice reels (i dont have one though but want one) and seem to work well.
I noted you mentioned that you had seen a #6 for sale, this is what I want for my 14 and 15´ can you tell me where you saw that.

Im gonna get one.

Thanks
Michael

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Peerless #6

Good morning Dwayne,

I think your choice for this reel to balance a 12'-6 rod is a good one. I have compared the weights/capacities of the peerless #6 against my bogdan #150 and they appear very similar. I have mine balanced on a 12'-4 rod & it seems to work well. Also fyi, the reel holds a rio multi-tip spey windcutter just barely! When reeling in a fish, I have to be very aware of where the line is on the spool, and "finger" the line into the available space so it doesn't bind on the pillars. This might be useful information depending on the type of line you plan to use.

All the best,

Chris

·
Registered
445 Posts
.........Salmonchaser,10 oz. would be plenty on a 12'6'' rod. I fish Loop and T&T 14' rods,my Van Staal balances them well,at 9.5 oz. with a 700 gr line. Same with a 13' rod,the next smaller is the 11.5' Loop Blue,8 to 8.5 oz. balance them well. I use a 580 gr. line on them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i fish the peerless #6 on a 14' #9 loop green and it just barely balances the the rod. It would suit a 13' perfectly. It's a nice reel although i wish they made a bigger one.

·
Registered
445 Posts
..............SpeySeb,my reels weigh between 9.5 and 9.7oz.,that seems to balance my 14' Green pretty well. They have an uplocking reel seat,the T&T has a downlocking seat. It definitely makes a difference in weight distribution. An inch of two difference in reel placement changes the balance point quite a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry it's probably just the way i wrote it. The reel does balance my 14' .... but...... just at the top of my handle and i mean the very tip. I just meant that it would balance a shorter rod better.:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
...............SpeySeb,yeah,I know what you mean. Reel makers keep making reels lighter for single handed rods,which makes it hard to find a reel of proper weight to balance a spey rod. Unless you get something that just weighs too much,which is just as bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.