Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. its been an interesting read following the "old hardy" thread. after a fair amount of research and studying, i think my first old hardy will be a trout sized model.

i am interested in the peerless 4A but have never been able to lay my hands on one for a upclose look. nor have i been able to dig up much for info here by running searches. i would appreciate your opinions & thoughts on it.

i had thought that it utilised the vom hofe style drag that the salmon model peerless reels carry, but from a web site description it looks as though it has a spring pawl system. i'm fine with the spring pawl, even enjoy them. i don't think a spool of that large a diameter all that hard to control. i am curious though how you apply additional braking to a fully caged spool? what options are there? place a finger or two inside the spool against the line/backing surface?

are there other vintage type reels being built and available?

would like to hear from someone............... thanks. SG

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Other ideas

Siskiyou reels
Adams reels
Bill Ballan
Kineya (a personal fav...the guy who makes these reels is one of the best machinists I've ever seen. I fiddled with a bunch of his reels and they are amazing)
Maurice Noel
Olson

a man named Jim Williams has a company called Just Reels and he probably has the largest stable of trad reels (new ones). Search the net...but not before you check if a sponsor can order one of the reels you're interested in :hihi:

joe

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
The Peerless 4A

is one beautiful reel. I have been looking at it as well. I contacted Peerless and asked about drag and line capacity. They told me that this double pawl reel is super loud, louder than the old Hardy reels. That, unfortunately, is not what I wanted to hear. I don't mind a little click but I really dislike a bunch of unnecessary noise. They do make a #6 that has the Vom Hoffe type drag, but the spey line capacity isn't there, at least for larger lines like an XLT. I was pretty disappointed because a reel that gorgeous for $600 is just what I was looking for. The double pawl drag will probably keep me from buying it though. If they come up with the 4A looks with the Vom Hoffe type drag I'd pay a grand for one. I was very interested in the new Hardy Cascapedia until I saw the price. Forget about it.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
B.A. thanks for the ideas. some additional names go a long way with searching.

moose, wouldn't it be nice to be able to handle one of these? it would sure go a long way & answer alot of questions.........

heres what another board member related to me concerning the drag.

"As you have found, the 4A is spring/pawl. And as you have also stated, additional pressure is applied by feathering the inside spool edge.

I personally like the brake system on the reel. It has quite a bit of 'juice' and sounds very nice. Much quieter than the Hardy's- more appealing to my ear".

he did have other concerns, and suggested that one should be assessed hands on and up close, rather than a blind purchase. theres just not a large following of users for these like so many other reel manufacturors have, which is one of the attractive features to me. harder to get a "feel" for them without the benefit of having one in hand. SG

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Classic 4a Peerless and Such

I Sell them both and must say they are hard to beet
I like the Peerless 4a is Pawl Drag and I like them for winter combinations for the pawl drag will not freeze and it does not have that loud of click.
More like fine tooth Socket Ratchet Love the capacity a full 8/9 grandspey with 200 yards of 30 dacron backing.
Fit the balance for the CND Thompson or A CND Salar to a tee.
Cascapedia would be one of my summer reels along with a Olsen's Winter Special fine drag click more like winding a watch rather than a alarm clock.

Both these reels are well suited for most of the Speyrods and have very good drag system.

e-mail me for particulars

:smokin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts