Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to place this post. It has has greatest, perhaps only, impact on the Classifieds. Recently as a seller, I've been getting paid the full amount, rather than the amount less the PP fee. I figured out the only way this could be happening is the buyer to be sending me money as a gift. Recently, I've noticed a few sellers asking to be paid this way. I think this is wrong. Paypal is a great service that I'm willing to pay for. But, I'm also rather sure that the fees PP charges will go up if they aren't getting the money due them.

There is another issue that I've been hit by a couple of times. When money is sent as a gift or similar, the shipping address is not included in the PP transmittal of funds AND you cannot print a shipping label. The label issue causes problems because to get the USPS 1st Class parcel rate I have to go to the post office. PP lets you choose that service but most other "...free" services do not. The subscription services allow it, but you have to sell a lot of stuff to break even; far more that the occasional line or reel or rod that I sell.

Bottom line as a seller, if you don't want to pay the fees, don't accept it as a means of payment. As a buyer, be truthful when you send the money by PP.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I believe PP still get their fees in a gift, the sender pays for them.
Perhaps your price should include fees so everyone's happy and discount if they don't pay by that method.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When using paypal gift the person sending money pays the fees, but there is no paypal buyer protection. What this means if there is a shady deal, your screwed. :saeek:

Dan

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I do my PP deals straight up, i.e., I send the buyer a PP invoice that describes the goods, they pay and are protected, and I have a good record of the transaction. I pay the fees, but they are included in the price of the object, and I am able to create a shipping label with postage paid through PP.
I like to keep life simple, and doing it this way there's one or two fewer things to worry about.
Gary

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I agree

Gene,

I'm with you on this one. I have no problem paying the Paypal fees as a seller. I've even offered to pay them as a buyer. PP is a legitimate business enterprise that most of us enjoy. Using the "Gift" route to sneak a purchase a past them saves a few pennies ($5.96 or our recent transaction) but seems wrong to me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
just like everything... do what fits you

I have no problem doing the "gift"/no fee Paypal transaction
i share clear/high res photos of an item selling
i'm upfront on terms/ info (fees, shipping cost,ect)
I provide my email address and real name

There have been a few deals that i wasn't 100% happy with, but a quick conversation with buyer/seller cleared everything up with no lasting issues

as a seller I have asked for the gift/no fee option... sometimes the buyers feel more comfortable with paying the fee, thats no problem

all that being said, I am a bit more cautious with a person with only 5 or less posts with a recent join date

·
Registered
547 Posts
Agree with all above. A 3% fee is well worth the peace of mind and come on now..........so you sell a $300 used rod and it cost you $9. Not a big deal imo.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If the seller is asking me to remit payment as a gift instead of for goods sold, I would be very skeptical of the seller's integrity, and probably not be interested in making the deal (that has been the case in the past). No malice toward prior posters, just sharing a personal feeling.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts