Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for some ideas for smelt patters or other, open to suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Get a copy of Joseph D Bates, jr's book "Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing" (a classic, by the way). It is absolutely chock full of streamer patterns, a huge number of which have their origins in Maine, and are specifically designed for Landlocks.

Jim

·
Registered
92 Posts
Smelt patterns

Get a copy of Trolling Flies For Trout and Salmon By Dick Stewart and Bob Leeman. Tight lines. Ivan

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all thank you!

Appreciate. As usual, nice work Gary :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
beautiful flies ... however .....

I did not see the famous" Joe's smelt " in the mix. do you know the pattern ? if no,,,,t pm,,,, me and I will relate it to you....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Among the traditional favorites in my neck of the woods are the Nine-Three, Magog Smelt, Black Ghost, and Montreal Whore.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tell me more about the Montreal whore:)

(Kidding of course)

Aldo,

I'm heading to the West Branc of the Penob. Any recommendations on where to begin, it's my first trip. Its a good six hour drive so any information would be highly welcome. I'll be spey casting

Thank you!

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Black Ghost

This is my favorite for Landlocks, works well on the Kennebago. Can also tie it with white marabou wing, but I like the sparkle and translucency of the hackle tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some very lovely ties by Gary and Macspey. :)I'm particularly partial to the black ghost. Atlantic salmon being just landlocks that haven't forgotten - or been prohibited from going - where the ocean is, they really love black ghosts. You hear people say if you were limited to just one fly...it would have to be the black ghost or the Green Machine on the Miramichi. I've not tried it on landlocks, but I have to believe that the Machine would catch them like crazy too.

Back in the late 80s I was on a trip up to Atikonak Lake in Labrador. That watershed has a great population of landlocks. I had some chartreuse fur strips - standard palmer-wound body with an inch and a half of tail. We caught more landlocks on those than anything else until the fish simply destroyed my little supply.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,859 Posts
What Hooks

Macspey

What hooks are those on???

This is my favorite for Landlocks, works well on the Kennebago. Can also tie it with white marabou wing, but I like the sparkle and translucency of the hackle tips.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The WB of the Penobscot fishery is largely confined to the stretch from Ripogenus Dam downstream to the Big Eddy. It flows through a gorge with some heavy whitewater which is great for rafting and kayaking, but challenging to the point of being somewhat dangerous for wading, depending on your skill, age, and testosterone level. My brother has run sections of it in an inflatable pontoon, but putting a fly rod in his hands makes him more than a little mentally unstable at times. (I'm sure you know the type.) If you are careful and keep your wits about you, there are some beastly brook trout and some nice landlocks to be found in the pockets and seams in the gorge. This is great water for short line nymphing with stone, caddis, and various mayfly nymphs, so you may want to throw in a single hander, too. The water is much more wadeable and floatable between the Gorge and the Big Eddy, and there are plenty of fish there, too. I think you will find the two hander to be quite advantageous there! You will also find more human company as well.

Don't forget your bug dope - the skeeters and black flies can be murderous.

Oh, and a pic of the Montreal "Lady of the Evening" ;)

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for taking the time to share Also. It's greatly appreciated

I hope it's a good time. The gorge looks very risky from the pictures. I will be on foot. I read that from the lake north there is miles of water. Will I be relegated to a handful of spots that are popular with others, sort of the high pressure areas or are there plenty of spots to find with a little wor?

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I confess that the handful of times I have been up there, I've only fished from the gorge down to the Big Eddy. Never fished above the lake. Might be quite good. As with pretty much anywhere else, I would bet that walking in a bit from the convenient access points will earn you some solitude. Sorry I don't have more intel.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aldo,

I found this

http://youtu.be/n7WNeqTDbxQ

Looks like a lot of fish able water and what appears to be short treks from the road to find the less pressured zones

It's much bigger than I anticipated so I'll likely need a longer Rod to make the most of it. It's a big river!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts