Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These I´ve found:

65 ft 9/10: 740 grains/48 grams
65 ft 10/11: 775 grains/50 grams (tho Ian states 802 grains/52 grams)

Anybody got the rest? Willie Gunn?

Strange that the 9/10 and the 10/11 are so close in terms of head weight. Must be just a slight difference in feel using those two on the same rod.

For the two IG:s I have I´ve stepped up one size compared to the rod, with great result. However, now I´m thinking about getting a 65 ft intermediate for my 13-footer, which is an 8/9. If I would step up one size, the 9/10 at 48 grams would clearly overload the rod, since the rod is really happy with the 8-10 WC. However, I haven´t got the weight for the 8/9 IG. That would probably be the one for my 13-ftr.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think Willie G is somewhere over the Atlantic at the moment, so in his absence, and according to the paper catalogue I have, the weights are as follows

Short head (65')
7/8 38gm
8/9 42gm
9/10 46gm
10/11 50 gm
11/12 54gm

Medium head (75')

9/10 46gm
10/11 50gm
11/12 54gm

For some reason this info doesn't appear in the online pdf version of the catalogue. However, given the discrepancies with your info, I'd be inclined to check with the manufacturers or Ian, though he too is on his way to SFO at the moment I think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was trying two Ian's lines(Jetstream 10/11(75'),10/11(85') and Partridge all sizes and head lengts in floating version). I don't understand why first lines are very good suited on many rods(T&T 1409, 1509, Scott A2 1409 with 75' head and T&T 1510, Sage1510, Daiwa Alltmor Spey10/11/12 15', Loomis 10/11GLX15' with 85') and seconds don't casts with the same quality. Jetstream and Partridge spey - are two Ian's toys, and Partridge produced late, but result not better. What do you think about this?
Jack :confused:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Gardener!

Salmon Jack: I have no experience of the Carron lines but there might be folks on the forum who have tried both. I personally think the Partridges are wonderful.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About discrepancies

I really don´t think that 2 grams more or less really makes a big difference, at least not when we´re talking this length of heads. Shooting heads - another story. The 7/8 should be the one for my Norway 13´.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fredtrout said:
I really don´t think that 2 grams more or less really makes a big difference, at least not when we´re talking this length of heads. Shooting heads - another story. The 7/8 should be the one for my Norway 13´.
Now that I´ve been spending some time with this lovely rod I find I was underestimating its power reserves! It actually handles my Ian Gordon 10/11, although I have to strip in a bit more compared to when using that line on the Kola 9/10. Perfect for short to mid distance fishing in tight spots when you only got 10-15 yards of line outside the rod tip. Not bad for a rod rated #7/9! :Eyecrazy: the WC 8-10 was actually too light for this rod. And I´m not a fan of overly heavy loads.

So the 7/8 Ian Gordon would probably be too light. Have an 8/9 Midspey on the way (thanks Green Butt!) and the 9/10 Ian Gordon 65´ intermediate. I´m planning to use the intermediate 9/10 Gordon on both my B&W:s: With the 13´ for short to mid distance and with the 15´,3" for long distance, casting with almost the entire head outside the rod tip. These lines are fantastic fishing tools. Responsive and seem to work on different rod weights, as long as you adjust casting technique and the amount of head outside the rod tip.

However, I´ve got to try the Carron as well. Was thinking about the 75´ 11/12 floater. Anybody got the grain weights for these Carron lines:

75´ 11/12
85´ 11/12

The specs for the other Carrons I´ve found. I guess the deal is to choose a line one size heavier than the rod, ie the 11/12 for a 10/11 rod. This seems to work great with the Partridge lines at least.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Jimmy and Gwyneth are fishing this week. The Carron boys are all knackered post Ireland so hold fire for a few days and I'm sure you will get a response.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Willie Gunn said:
Jimmy and Gwyneth are fishing this week. The Carron boys are all knackered post Ireland so hold fire for a few days and I'm sure you will get a response.
Thanks for the update concerning the state of the Carron crew :hihi: I´ll throw them a mail.

No worries, I won´t be able to go fishing until after Midsummer´s anyhow :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts