Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this aspect of fly fishing and have a few questions for the forum. I tried spey casting on the Deschutes a few years ago and became hooked. Would a Billy Pate Tarpon reel do as a spey reel? It is pretty heavy, but balances my new rod (Dec Hogan Flylogic 13' 7 weight) quite well. Also, what is a good line for a beginner? Thanks in advancefor the recommendations. PY

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Deschutes Reel and Line

Paul

You will find the reel a bit heavy, but they are great reels performance wise.

I like the Rio midspey 7/8 on my 7136-4 Sage and think you would like it or the appropriate long delta.

Try to get to one of the claves and try out some lines on your rod.

Getting some instruction is another great way to get up the learning curve.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Paul,

You will be fine with the Pate, they are awesome reels. They are so "bomb-proof" that they are the rage with the guides in the Queen Charlotte Islands for salmon mooching - if they can survive that and still look as good as they do they are top drawer! I wish I had one. :(

As for the line, I agree with Ted, something in the mid-spey/long delta mold would be the best way to learn. This design is short enough that a learning speycaster can realize some early success - good for the confidence. As well, they are not too short, (like a windcutter or delta configuration) so that they promote bad habits should you choose to move towards the long belly lines later in your journey as a speycaster. The mid-spey types are definitely the way to start - that and some good instruction!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts