Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is appropriate but I feel I have have to let off some steam. I purchased a pair of Rio Gallegos waders at $500 cdn. which is way more than I would normally spend on waders. Being retired and having gone through countless cheaper waders I thought I would bite the bullet, spend the dough and get a really good pair of breathable waders. The third occasion out one foot leaked, they were returned at a cost of $50 plus shipping. Four more trips the other foot leaked, same cost. They have now been worn another four times this winter and the neoprene booty seam tape have now started to become unglued, to be fare they are not leaking yet. These waders have only been used in fresh water as I was told by Patagonia do not use in the salt, I an getting to the point I am taking a cheap pair of Orvis with me incase the fail again. Please excuse the rant, totally frustrated.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Hey, so sorry for your hassle. Did the shop you got em from not help you at all? I've used Bare Gold zip fronts now for 2 seasons with no problem. Also never had an issue with my Snowbee waders. How about sonic pro, they are welded to eliminate seam issues. I do feel your pain though, $500 is a lot even for a working stiff. Best of luck CR

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
The Patagonia SST waders were the best waders I have ever owned. Between the original pair and the pair I bought a couple years later as a backup, I got five years of 60-70 days per year out of them. The next generation was a huge step backwards.

Love my Simms G4s.

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experiences, mine have been just the opposite.
So far I have only put 30 days of fishing time on both sets of Patagonia's , Rio Gallegos and Skeena versions.
I must say I have not had any issues with either of them and have turned out to being the best waders I have ever owned so far.
At this point I would imagine they owe you a new set of waders and an apology for any inconvenience. They have professed to having excellent customer service so I would expect them to make things right for you.

Mike

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
I beat the heck out of waders and the Patagonia Rio Gallegos have been bomb proof for me...

Repairing waders and charging $50.00???

That does not sound like Patagonia to me...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I totally understand your disappointment and frustration, that is a lot of money to put out for waders that are not performing well. I would for sure be pressing both the original seller and the manufacturer to resolve this issue in a manner that is satisfactory to you. As mentioned in a previous post at this price point Simms is another option. I own a couple of of the Guide model and have been very happy with them. Also saltwater capable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've gone through 2 pairs in 3 years of the gallegos.

I like the design, fit, and everything about the wader other than the fact they leak so quickly!

First pair was good for around 30 days then it was a fast downhill. They replaced them so I was happy. 2nd pair was less than 15 days before good leaks around the neoprene boots and my crotch.

A lot of the guys I talk to at shops in Vancouver have said a lot of people have had problems with them.

I bought the simms g3s in October, so far happy, they don't fit my body as well at the patagonias but i've been out 15+ times and not a hint of a leak so I'm happy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sounds like you rec'd a lousy pair of waders, and you should not be paying to get them fixed in the first year. I'd be trying to get my money back, or at the very least, a new pair of waders. Also, living where we do, I would insist on waders that are salt water capable. (Too much good fishing out there at times!) I've used Simms stocking foot waders for many years for work, and for fishing in fresh AND salt water. Never had a problem other than an ocassional pinhole which were my fault, are easy to find using alcohol, and easy to fix with Aquaseal. I won't purchase anything else.
I just use either the guide models, or G3's. Both can be had at the price point you mentioned.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Waders?

Been a Simms groupie for some years now,my first pair of Neoprenes and G3 breathable's lasting well over 6 years each.My second pair of Neoprenes are going strong,but my second pair of G3's have almost totally failed at 18months old.Now my waders are looked after,worn once a week from May to seasons end plus 4 week long sorties.The feet have fallen apart-the tape falling right off on both feet almost the same day,the seams between the legs have all worn through in several places on each seam,leaking like a sieve with extra large holes!.The attraction of Simms for me always has been buying a size thats a correct fit,I've always gone for a premium product accepting Simms premium prices(especially UK!!).I've no gripe that the waders are outside warranty,more than they should be fit for purpose.The dealer I bought them from returned the waders on my behalf to Simm's Euro. repair centre where I was quoted £136 to repair,but advised the waders were so badly worn the repair wasn't feasible,this is on £540 waders at 18 months old. for heavens sake!.
Several bouts of e-mail tennis have ensued between self and Euro repair centre and then Simms in USA.Basically Simms say the final word rests with their Euro repair centre and its like it or lump it.Simms appear to be neatly by passing customer rights here in the UK.Graciously they've offered to sell me new waders!,but guess what Simms!,yeah its unprintable on an open forum!!! :tsk_tsk:.Any way bought a rather nice pair of Redington Sonic Dry Fly with zipped front.So Simms for ever more its your loss!!,never again will your products receive me of wallet contents.
Wade dry every one,Yorkie.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ironclad Patagonia warranty. I've sent items back to Patagonia some after years of abuse some after light use. The items have failed after light use I've explained to them should not be on my dime and they cut a check for the shipping, no questions asked. The items after years of abuse(And I buy'em to break'em) I'll ship on my dime and with Patagonia never had any issues. Go Simms if you want but you just as likely to get a G3 lemon as you are with Patagonia. Between the two Simms and Patagonia waders are a draw, its the personal fit of the Simms that I like, the rest of the outdoor gear Simms can't compete.

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
Something seriously isn't right here, why are you being charged $50 for a repair on Patagonia waders?

You are either not telling the entire story or you are getting hosed by someone. Even international situations are covered by the Iron Clad guarantee...

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
My first pair lasted 3 years before leakage, and were then returned for booty replacement. They replaced both booties and patched the **** out font the inside seams. I paid shipping there, they paid back. Still going strong. Bought a new pair last year for an AK backcountry trip, and same experience.

I'd get on the phone or a live chat and get it sorted out. They are one of only two companies from whom I've received excellent cutover service.

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
Rio Gallegos

I have a couple pairs of the Rio Gallegos and haven't had the problems you're experiencing. Sorry you got a bum deal. One pair I've worn hard and did put a hole in the knee in a moment of clumsiness and a submerged boulder. Totally my fault and told patagonia that and they did repair that pair...which was my expectation...and they didn't charge me for the repair. Zero leaks since on them. The other pair has been worn just a couple times as they are a backup pair. I'd call Patagonia and express your concerns. I would imagine they'll make it right. They've always been more than fair with me over the years. Good luck...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Patagonia refunded me for my leaky Gallegos; on a gift card mind you but I needed some capilene and shirts and other boring stuff so it was all good. They also fixed my River Salt jacket when the RiRi zipper failed. They installed a new YKK zipper that is way more bomber/smooth. Always been happy with the after sale service. The current crop of waders seems to suffer a design flaw in where the stocking feet join the waterproof fabric that causes major leaks. Hopefully they can figure it out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As others have said, get on the horn and talk to Patagonia but go up from repairs level to more corporate level. Also, email them the link to this Speypages thread to show them that a whole contingent of fly fishers will be looking to see how they handle this problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts