Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Patagonia SST

Jacob,
I "fished" the Patagonia SST for 5 - 6 years in fresh and salt water unless I lost it this summer. It was still dry in heavy rain after the years (except the outer pockets) and I only can recommend the jacket. The Patagonia is not a too short deep wadig jacket, but thats more a bonus for me.
Now I ordered an new one of the old model.
Stefan

J

·
0 Posts
I've used both and prefer the Simms. For one thing, Gore-tex will always be more breathable than any other fabric, and I find breathability even more important in a jacket than I do in waders. Secondly, and I believe this may now have been corrected, but some of us had big problems a few years ago with the SST leaking. One of my fishing buddies was on his third one when he gave up and bought a Simms. Having said all that, I'm quite sure you'll be happy with either one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am happy with my SST...Second one was new last year and It has held up well in Salt and in Boats as well. They had made several design changes from the earlier model especially new wrist cuff design. The one I am wearing in my avitar is the Short Wader Jacket which I also use mostly in the summer.

·
Registered
465 Posts
From the land of rain...

I've had a few friends who have had problems with SST jackets leaking and some who have had no such problems. They all really liked the design, but regardless of how well a rain jacket is designed, it is not worth much if it leaks!

On the other hand I've never heard about anyone having problems with the Simms jacket. I know several people who use these and they all like them very very much!

·
Banned
161 Posts
Patagonia

The SST is a great jacket, but I prefer the Deep Wading Jacket. It breathes better than the SST or Gore-Tex yet has never let water in even in the worst of conditions. The price is right and the design is great. I combine the use of mine with the HydroShed jacket (deeply discounted at many retailers) for a great PNW combination.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob Pauli: I´ve dont like the Loop Jacket´s on the Colours ;) :razz:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I stopped fly fishing for awhile in my youth and started mountaineering and climbing year around, yes winter. As new materials came out I could never understand why fisherman, especially winter steelheaders stuck to the old heavy wool and coated rubber stuff.

I started buying equipment from Chouinard equipment, in '70. Patagonia is owned and run by Yvon Chouinard (a flyfisherman and climber). Anyway their gear is bomber, I've seen other gear get trashed in rock chimneys and leak like a sieve. If your coat leaks you might need to wash it then iron it.No kidding. DWR coatings renew with heat. Before you do this go to the Patagonia web site or e-mail them and see if they recommend it for your jacket.

Dirt and fish slime will affect the water proofness and breathability of all the new Gore and "breathable" fabrics out now including waders.

Hypothermia for fisherman is real. Spend some money on good gear and enjoy those full weather days. They let you know you're alive as much as a big fish. Less fisherman too.

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
Patagonia waders are definitely more comfortable

I know, I know, we're talking about Patagonia Jackets vs Simms.
But I can't resist expressing my preference for the Patagonia waders!

I own both Simms Guide waders and Patagonia. Used the Simms for years thinking they were the best, but once I tried the Patagonia, I've never worn the Simms since.

Yes, GoreTex is supposed to be more breathable, technically.
But somehow Patagonia just knows how to make their stuff
more comfortable, dryer, and lighter.
And yes, technically the Patagonia stuff is not deet proff, but you'd need a LOT of deet to melt through ....

Patagonia just made more minor adjustment to their waders this year, and it's even better.

No, I'm not affiliated with Patagonia in any way.

·
Registered
235 Posts
thumbs up to.......

Patagonia all the way.

Leader in outerwear. I second the fact that Patagonia's are a better wader in my opinion then Simms. I have seen Simm's waders puncture and wear down faster then my Patty's:smokin: and I cannot complain.

The SST wading jacket is awesome. Both are great, never had problems with any of them.

BTW, the deet problem has been corrected and is now no longer a problem.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Patagonia

I love their entire line of clothing. I like both the SST and the Deep wading jacket. I currently own both and I am not sure how or why that even happened? But I wont complain. I love their waders as well. I have owned these for a few years and have a few hundred hours on them and not a leak or even a wear mark yet? I have never owned the Simms but when you are extremely happy with what you own I see no reason to switch? I think you will be happy with either but I would try both on and find the one that fits the best and go from there!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I have the simms g3 waders and love them. Not sure how you could improve on them.

However I use the patagonia deep wading jacket for my rain shell.

I do not like the heavy feel of either the SST or the Simms guide jackets for use for a full days fishing. I do alot of hiking and walking in the winter and would rather layer properly and have the lightest wading jacket I can find. Even in the dead of winter I have a probalem with overheating and like the thin lightweight feel of the deep wading jacket. Plus rain never gets in.

Nothing in its class compares to the deep wading jacket. It is the most well thought out jacket out there. A steal for under $200. Have used the simms freestone and it is just not as nice as the patagonia.

The only addition that would be nice is a zippered pocket in the back but since I use a chest pack with a back compartment it is not necessary.

Looks like simms is coming out with a new G3 wading jacket for over $400 and are getting rid of the freestone. Probably bumping down the current guide jacket like they did with the guide waders to a lower price.

Will be a good deal once they do that but I for one am sticking with patagonia.

-sean

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im very in to the Simms´s Jacket...Green Colour..! :hehe:

About Waders: I have the Simms G3 waders. great stuff! The only bad i see whit the G3 is the nois when your are walking! :rolleyes: :razz: :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts