Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spey casting started as a neccessity where I steelhead and then progressed to a passion then obsession and now it is an Addiction. What has been your experience with Spey Casting?
Klem

·
Registered
112 Posts
Klem said:
What has been your experience with Spey Casting?
Klem
I'm just starting out. If all goes well, this Saturday will be my first hands-on casting experience. I have little doubt that another addict will be born. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Klem,

I think I may be on your path, but just leaving passion and getting into the obsession stage. I'm not addicted yet. No, I'm not. (I hope nobody checks how often I log onto this site.)

Of course, based on yesterday, somebody might think I'm addicted to bad casting!

--Bill

·
Registered
194 Posts
ad.dic.tion. n

"The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something."

Yep Klem, that's it.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Addicition

As an addiction spey casting is healthier then drugs, alcohol and smoking. The cost is similar to seeing a psychiatrist but I would rather give my money to Aaron, Bob Meiser, Mike and Mark than a doctor.

Rich

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Rich,

Besides, it is good excercise, which the others are not. Therefore, it seems to me it is a very healthy thing to engage in that perhaps might be beneficial and prolong one's life.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Klem

Let me help you word the obvious a little differently. We all know how difficult it would be to give up the twohander and go back to the single rod days of yesteryears. So the question could read. HOW MANY OF YOU ADDICTS WOULD BE WILLING TO PUT DOWN THE (BOTTLE-TWOHANDER) AND RETURN TO THE SINGLE?....

If you get any votes for the single, you'll know he's hooked bad because he can't face the truth! and vice/versa if there is no votes for the single. You'll know how DEEP, your in for.

Anywho Flytyer is correct! it will promote longevity. There's no-way I'm not going to be out there on my 80th birthday.

Welcome my addicted brother :saevilw:

Tom Hill

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I asked my wife to categorize me, since my own involvement makes an objective evaluation nearly impossible. Now bear in mind that last night she helped me perform a bunch of static distribution tests to determine guide placement on a new spey blank that I'm building into a rod. Seems like all the elements are there..... :devil:

She said I was obsessed - but not addicted - primarily because my involvement hasn't led to loss of jobs or family. I replied that addiction wouldn't be such a bad thing, not for the losses sustained, but instead for the potential gains reaped.

Upshot: a 2 week trip to B.C. is too long, but a 1 week trip is ok. :cool:

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Lets see....

In under a year and a half I've bought 9 rods (with hard commitments on at least 2 more), 5 reels 30 or so lines and spend every available free moment either casting/fishing or submerged in this obsession via print or on line.

Yep, got it bad! :saevilw:

And thank god for it!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Geez, I'm kinda the opposite of Moose--in the last 9 years I've bought 1.5 rods. But the 0.5 rod was a cheap e-bay Redington to get my kids started with the 2-hander and therefore was one of my best purchases.

But, nearly all of my fishing friends are brothers of the spey.

And perhaps of greater significance is the fact that although I've only got 1 old rod I use regularly, I still became a charter member of the only known Spey Casting Club in the US (North Santiam Spey Casters), and I thought it a great investment to be a Spey Pages member!

--Bill

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
addicted!?

so many so called addictions in life,i believe if a man has no reason to apply onesself,the effort would not be forthcoming;;; or a carrot on a stick in front of a mule driving onward would suffice!,i'll always love what i've acheived with two-handers,in fact;i believe my passed father would be damned proud of me :) ,i'll always believe i've been rightous in promoting their use on the Rogue in spite of detractors :tsk_tsk: ,i'll always choose to a two-hander for personal use out of the pile of various style rods i have on hand for use on the Rogue as a measure of freedom unavailable with singles allowes me to utilise areas that others do not frequent,,i will say;a driftboat can cover more water,that's where singles can outproduce,because of the boat,but,afoot,a two-hander has no equal;i'll not back off in promoting them to all who happen to bump into me afield,,it seemed as though i was not allowed to even hold a two-hander for years as i learned how to flyfish and bumped into people, now i readily hand a two-hander to folks on the river's bank and encourage them to cast away,,,i guess getting the word out about flyfishing coupled with the longrods is my drug,,and,it's all good!,,,a somewhat natural high :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Addiction

You say "addiction" as if it were a bad thing? Was Albert Einstein not addicted to his work? And we are much better off because of it. I would say that Mr. Meiser and Mr Nodera have the addicition pretty bad. But I think we are much better off because of it! :hihi:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Moose said:
In under a year and a half I've bought 9 rods (with hard commitments on at least 2 more..
My goodness Moose. You are out of control :).
Thank you for posting this, now I know I might be normal still.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Moose,
You are my hero, but 9 rods in a year :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: . Independently wealthy or living out of truck ? I'm trying to afford a second rod this year and I thought I was bad. :saeek:

Gillie

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
D Loop

Trying to qualify your own sanity by measuring your actions against those of a madman (me :saevilw: ) place you firmly in denial and sliding down that slippery slope!

Gillie

You see, after 20 years of incarceration as father of 3 daughters (the financial version of a black hole in space) I have been given a reprieve. 2 in the service pursuing nursing careers, 1 in a local college. To my utter amazement I have discovered that now, when placing a paycheck in the bank, it does not immediately vanish into the unknown. Upon learning this I gave up my broomstick and rope custom fishing outfit (the fathers deluxe model) and set out to obtain a bit of quality hertofore unknown to me. This must be done with no sense of leisure, as it is only a matter of time until the better half too discovers the mystery of the "Balance" in the checking account, which shall surely put an end to my indulgence of the past 18 months. But by then I should have at hand enough to see me through the next decade or more of my sole lifelong sporting pursuit.

Oh, yeah, and I bought a couple nice Browning shotguns too :smokin:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
`madman',heheheheheheeee

i guess you and i are what they would call `birds of a feather' Moose,three daughters have i as well,and my wife will work every trick to keep them here,even while they attend college===and while i type this,my wife's whispering at me about the most recent upheaval;a tatoo :saeek: ,on my oldest girl=20,shown to my wife who `lost it' :eek:when she first saw `it' ,turns out it's a `temporary' thing; :tsk_tsk: ,ah yes,at one time i would have many sons,spend my time racing,customizing bikes, cars,instead girls were thrust down upon me as if to `even the score', :confused: ,and the youngest has been the toughest to keep on the strait and narrow,no wonder i as well as you love being in quiet surroundings,,,madman!?,,,or just a warweary survivor? :roll:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Moose said:
Oh, yeah, and I bought a couple nice Browning shotguns too... :smokin:
Moose I have two teenage daughters myself, so I undertstand the shotguns purchase :)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Klem said:
Spey casting started as a neccessity where I steelhead and then progressed to a passion then obsession and now it is an Addiction. What has been your experience with Spey Casting?
Klem
I guess that I qualify as one with a passionate obsession. :saevilw:

When we have the frog drowning rains that we have had the past 3-4 Dec-Feb's, I have no desire to go out to swing the long sticks and long lines. :eek:

My son was addicted to steelhead fishing, and he has transferred that addiction to Striped Bass Fishing in the California Delta.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts