Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Seniors,
I learned that Partridge Ian Gordon Spey lines was tested together with various spey lines and won the 'Best in Test' on March 2006 issues of Trout & Salmon magazine. I was wondering its performance and would like to hear from actual users if it is really good in its design or coating, etc.
If you are using this line, please let me be advised your opinions. That will be very good guidance for me to consider my next preparation.
Thank you.

Cloudsfor

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Great Lines

I Have been selling and using these lines for several years now. The lines have front taper of nerly 50 feet. They turn over with a passion and land like gossamer. These lines get a lot of use during my dry line fishing.

The only limitation is the heaviest one, 11/12 is only 849 grains. This means they only get used on my lihghter rod.

At 65 and 75 feet they are some great mid length lines. You will enjoy one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Have to agree with Jack. They excell as a dry line, smooth, efortless and very light in the air. My favourite line as a floater. On the other side of the coin I find them very poor as a line with tips even when chopped waaay back. hope this is of some help.

Ramsay

·
Registered
886 Posts
Muckle Salmon said:
Have to agree with Jack. They excell as a dry line, smooth, efortless and very light in the air. My favourite line as a floater. On the other side of the coin I find them very poor as a line with tips even when chopped waaay back. hope this is of some help.

Ramsay
I understand Ian is working on a sink tip version. If you want to fish a fly at depth I would suggest you use either the intermediate or one of the sinkers, casting a sinktip line is a nightmare.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Willie Gunn said:
I understand Ian is working on a sink tip version. If you want to fish a fly at depth I would suggest you use either the intermediate or one of the sinkers, casting a sinktip line is a nightmare.
Willie:

I am interested as to why you would rather fish a intermediate or a sinker line rather than a sinktip?

Thanks,
harley.

·
Registered
886 Posts
harley said:
Willie:

I am interested as to why you would rather fish a intermediate or a sinker line rather than a sinktip?

Thanks,
harley.
1.When Speycasting the lift at the start of the cast is very important. If the lift is not controlled the cast can not be properly executed. Trying to contol a line which floats at one end and sinks at another makes control near impossible.
2. When the fly is approahing the bank the floating section of the line lifts the comparativly sinking section, a full sinker also suffers from this problem BUT because the length is so much greater the effect is less noticable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts