Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Jack Cook
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after almost two years of effort the Partridge Ian Gordon Spey lines are available at The Irish Anger. The lines come in 65' and 75' head length with the following weights.
WF 7/8 - 38g or 585grains
WF 8/9 - 42g or 647grains
WF9/10 - 46g or 708grains
WF10/11 - 50g or 770grains
WF11/12 - 54g or 832grains
These babies have the incredible soft core the UK lines are famous for and cast like a dream.

I have boxes of them ready to ship and a whole set spooled up on reels for folks to test drive. Give a call or an email if you would like to test drive one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,027 Posts
I also have the intermed and full sink 65' head lines; takes a bit of practice to roll them to the surface, but great casting lines. And, as a UK fellow (Willie Gunn) told me: "you'll fish in places you've never gotten to before."

Right on!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I was going to order the 65', 7/8 for a T&T 1307, which currently has a 6/7 midspey. Generally, it appears that the UK lines require a line size higher because of the different rating method. However, I noticed that the Partridge line has a much higher grain weight than the 6/7 midspey and am wondering if it will overload the rod. I’m happy with the load for the 6/7 midspey, its just that I have converted to the Carron Jetstream on my heavier rods and like that type line (Carron does not make a 7/8 line). What do you think about the Partridge 65', 7/8 for the T&T 1307?
 

·
Jack Cook
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah baby!

I used these lines for 3 days down on the Clearwater and I am impressed. Even in the honkin'(technical term) wind that long front taper turns over with authority. Best of all the line lands on the water like an angel.

I have them all spooled up now if anyone wants to try one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
WF 7/8 - 38g or 585grains
WF 8/9 - 42g or 647grains
WF9/10 - 46g or 708grains
WF10/11 - 50g or 770grains
WF11/12 - 54g or 832grains

Are these weigths for the 65' or the 75' head?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
WF 7/8 - 38g or 585grains
WF 8/9 - 42g or 647grains
WF9/10 - 46g or 708grains
WF10/11 - 50g or 770grains
WF11/12 - 54g or 832grains

Are these weigths for the 65' or the 75' head?

Both
 

·
Jack Cook
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct

As Willy G has spoken it is correct. The weights are identical for a line designation regardless of head length. The liens sure cast nice. I am going to fish the heck out of then on the GR the next three weeks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
I see the winners of the National Angling Awards in this months Trout &Salmon (UK Publication) has the Partridge Ian Gordon Spey line as the best fly line
 

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
Joined
·
197 Posts
What line size would you recommend on a partridge spey line in full sinking with a 75' head for a road that throws the Carron 95' 11/12 beautifully (LTS 15'6)?
 

·
Jack Cook
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weight

What does that Carron linw weight in at?

The heaviest IGS, 11/12, is 840 grains.
Certainly as a full sinker you can get by with a bit less weight but not too much.
 

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
Joined
·
197 Posts
speyman said:
What does that Carron linw weight in at?

The heaviest IGS, 11/12, is 840 grains.
Certainly as a full sinker you can get by with a bit less weight but not too much.
My carron weight in at 68 grams. I also cast a 8/9 and a 9/10 XLT on the rod. Maybe I should go for an 11/12?

Are there any other that makes full sinking spey lines with 75' heads?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,027 Posts
McIntyre said:
My carron weight in at 68 grams. I also cast a 8/9 and a 9/10 XLT on the rod. Maybe I should go for an 11/12?

Are there any other that makes full sinking spey lines with 75' heads?
I suspect that you'd be better served by a 10/11 rather than anything heavier. I use both the 75' MS and the FS on my Sage and Loomis 10wt's. I can also cast the 9/10 XLT on either rod. Interesting part is though the lines are both 'sinking,' (off the top of my head don't know the grain weights on either) one rod STRONGLY prefers one line, the other rod the other. Casting is a 'struggle' to say the least if I shift lines.

Go figure.
 

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
Joined
·
197 Posts
fredaevans said:
I suspect that you'd be better served by a 10/11 rather than anything heavier. I use both the 75' MS and the FS on my Sage and Loomis 10wt's. I can also cast the 9/10 XLT on either rod. Interesting part is though the lines are both 'sinking,' (off the top of my head don't know the grain weights on either) one rod STRONGLY prefers one line, the other rod the other. Casting is a 'struggle' to say the least if I shift lines.

Go figure.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Maybe the 10/11 is heavy enough. For a sinking shooting head I use a 50 gram head on this rod which should be the same weight as the 10/11, but the shooting head is only 45' long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Are these made by Shakespeare? Trout and Salmon had an article about the new Partridge line making facility, but the IG line that I bought had a Shakespeare sticker on the tin. I went into Shakespeare's site just now to look at DT Salmon lines and they seem to be listing Partridge lines.

Regards
Steven
 

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
Joined
·
197 Posts
Steven Mear said:
Are these made by Shakespeare? Trout and Salmon had an article about the new Partridge line making facility, but the IG line that I bought had a Shakespeare sticker on the tin. I went into Shakespeare's site just now to look at DT Salmon lines and they seem to be listing Partridge lines.

Regards
Steven
Yew, to my knowledge these lines are made by Shakespeare. It's also the same boxes and same linewinders that are included as with the Shakespeare lines.

Ordered a 11/12 and if it's to heavy for my 15'6 that's just a good excuse to get a heavier rod :hihi:
 

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
Joined
·
197 Posts
JLN said:
Oddbjörn,

Just for curiosity..
What 15'6 do you prefer , GLX?
I use the 15'6 Loop LTS rod and are very satisfied with that one. It's a deep, but fast action rod. I'm connected to the LTS team in Norway, so I'm a little inhabil regarding rod recommodations.

By the way, I've got the 11/12 75' medium sink and it felt a little light on my rod. This could also be caused by my lack of experience with full sinking speylines, since I have used only shorter sinking heads earlier. But it made very nice thight loops and good linespeed, so it felt like a nice line.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top