Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody who has tried both the B&W Parabolic Lite 13´and the B&W Powerlite 13´? I´ve been told that the Powerlite is a bit faster and stiffer. Looking for a 13 footer that can handle speylines as well as short and heavy shooting heads...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Haven't tried these, but just had my first outing with my Ron Thompson 13ft Innovation Pro, rated 9-10. Matched it with a Loop Quattro tip 10/11 and it's perfect. Infact I'd go as far to say that you would be hard pushed to find a better set-up.

This rod cost me 60 UK pounds and would match anything 5 times it's price. Best 60 quid I've spent in a longtime.

It's a powerful, fast action rod that is well built and well finished. I was seriously impressed.

I actually compared it against my friends 13ft T&T, as we both use the 15fters, and IMO and for my fishing preference, it's better.

There ye go. Don't always have to spend a fortune to get something good.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)

That´s very true, Storlaks. My 14 footer is a Swedish budget brand called Broman and it´s very good with long bellies, but not fast/stiff enough for shooting heads.

However, I´m in *love* with my 15´B&W, their customer service is fantastic and furthermore it´s kinda cool to use a rod that hardly nobody even knows about in Loop/Loomis country (ie Sweden!).

The Parabolic is a bit pricey but it´s possible to make good deals on the 13´Powerlite... The Powerlite seems to be a bit stiffer and faster than the Parabolic. I´m leaning towards the Powerlite, I think BUT I´d love some input from anglers who actually have tried them... wonder if there are anybody with that experience on the forum?? :confused:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Fredtrout...

I've sent you a PM

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Powerlite is definately stiffer. The Parabolic is a through action rod. Depends on your preference really, but for shooting heads I would be inclined to go for the Powerlite. Price v Performance is good value.

cheers

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Storlaks!

Maybe B&W wanted to compete with American and Scandinavian fast/stiffish rods when they put out the Powerlite. From what I´ve heard the Powerlite combine a relatively fast and stiff blank with the lifting power and smoothness of the more typical B&W rods. I´ve never actually casted a Powerlite, just been swinging the 15´10 at the dealer. Felt goooood, though :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
a phone call

Speak to Brian at the factory he will happily talk rods .
think the number is 01487813764 not sure of the dialling code for international calls .

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy: Yeah, the folks at B&W are very friendly and helpful. But it´s always useful to get info from people who´ve just these rods. Unfortunately not many people on the forum are into B&W:s...:(

I heard from the Swedish B&W dealer that a customer bought the 13´Parabolic AND the 15´Parabolic right away after test casting. Furthermore, he ordered the 16´as well... I guess the hype about these rods is true!:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello fredtrout,
You are absolutely right, the hype is true. However, both Powerlite and Parabolic are excellent rods. Your choice should be based on line- and castingstyle-preferences. Powerlite is somewhat faster and clearly stiffer. Parabolic is truely parabolic in action and can handle any line, short or long, float or sink. Lineweight-indication for Parabolic 13 is on the low side, 8-10 would do fine! The Parabolic need slightly more time to load properly, but releases faster then what you would expect. My preference? I guess it shines through my reply that I prefer Parabolic, but again, both are excellent rods.
havardf.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I´m visiting the Swedish B&W dealer later this summer and will definitely try the Parabolic (if he still got some in store).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts