Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you see, this is what happens when you fail to properly measure your materials against your iron when starting out...FECK

Anyone have any idea if there is some secret stash of turkey about...something long enough for a 4/0 say??? Appreciate it brothers...

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I don't understand your 'complaint?'

Fly is a Woozer.

That said, it is interesting what kind of fruitless a Google search it can take to find some materials. Don't do much DIY any more but for 'exautic materials' (spelling intended) I've found England (a couple of great fishing web boards) to be a Gold Mind. (Bad pun intended)

fae

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
The turkey I get from Aaron is long enough to tie a 4/0 dee if you needed to. Best of luck finding it and lovely composition on the fly. really like those colors.

·
Administrator
19,208 Posts
Aaron or John have what you need , no doubt about it :)
As far as the fly though , she's lovely ... always liked a lady in a mini-skirt :smokin::smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
359 Posts
Second Aaron or John... I've got material from both that will marry up to 5/0 or maybe 6/0. One thought, shorten your topping to just past the wing.... more of an open tail/topping look. Works for some, I'm kinda partial to patterns tied this way.
She's a beauty, fish her hard.

John

·
Banned
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks gents for the PM's...in your debt...
Will likely be a lien on my estate as these things will fecking kill me...

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

·
Registered
506 Posts
cool fly, take off the topping and reset it so its barely longer than the wing and that its hugging the entire wing closely and it would look awesome.
The topping does NOT have to meet the tail.

your problem with finding materials long enough is this: you are trying to tie classic patterns on modern hooks. that hook MUCH larger than what it is labelled as.
AJ and BH hooks which are praised here on speypages, although are nice hooks, are not properly sized compared to old standards. they are shaped nothing like any standard salmon hooks (that i know of) from the old days, which makes tying classic salmon patterns on them difficult to get the proportions right and look nice.
goose can easily fit a 2/0, 3/0 or even 4/0 sometimes. turkey is easier to tie with than goose, but only necessary, IMO, if you want to tie 6/0 or 7/0 show flies. turkey is also stiff and doesn't fish as nicely.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Your excellent skills truly show on this one, Chase!

I do agree with kova on the topping closely hugging the wing, just gently draping over it. It's only my preference, however. If it meets the tail, so be it, if not... be thankful you set the thing successfully! Like he said, they don't have to meet.

As far as the mix of modern hooks and classic style patterns, I found that if you start the fly at the hook point or just slightly behind, the proportions seem to fit the hook much better. Again, only my preference, but it seems to balance out nicely, with no need to source insanely long quills for the wings.

-Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts