Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I did something I have not done in 25 years... killed a steelhead :eek:

That last kill was 1981 on the Kalama River - and it was a hatchery fish. Now I have caught a lot of hatchery fish since, but as I am not a real fish-eater I let them go. But today I bonked a little Skagit hatchery fish (funny...I only seem to kill American fish :saeek: )

My Jedi fishing partner wanted a fish for the BBQ - so I murdered the rascal (the fish that is...) I figured I might as well go big, so I opted for the bloody crime scene photo - it looked just like the old days!

For a second it felt good... them I remembered the "Pangs of Conscience" thread here and a felt like an ax murderer...not..

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Congrats Kush. That fish was created for that exact purpose. A fish management officer on The Methow last year was upset with fly fishers in particular for releasing their hatchery fish. He said the river was opened so the hatchery fish could be harvested out and if this "releasing" continued it would be closed. Now how about that perspective - - - if you don't kill the fish, we're not gonna let you fish. Lord help us.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I bonk 3-5 a year but let a few swim too. Part of me thinks they should all be bonked but the other part says only kill what you need.

I watched an angler beach a fish behind me yesterday morning. He treated it with great respect and quickly released it. I was excited as I hoped it was an early wild fish but no, just a brat that he thought fought well enough to earn its release. That's cool too.

By the way, T, congrats!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
To me the picture says it all, Kush is not smiling.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hook'em and Cook'em. At certain times, killing a hatchery fish, does fulfill the basic underlying element of 'fishing'. A completeness, if you will. You don't even know anything is missing until you whack one. Anyway, BBQ'd steelhead makes for good vittles.

Tip...you left one behind you???? Shame on ya ;)

William

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whaddaya mean... that is a smile :razz: . I was doing my best to look like a real killer! Actually Ed - who was taking the picture - was daring me to post it on Spey Pages, I told him I would as long as I could say I caught it behind him :whoa:

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
you savage beast

I don't think the cave man was thinking about sport when he bonked his first fish though I can't imagine that he did not at least break out a in a tiny smile during the melee.Where I was raised fishing was 25% sport and 75% ,walleye taste so damn good,now I like to think I am just picky,chromers only and the law permits hatchery except on few poor rivers we have not yet fully stripped, the rest is to keep the skills sharp.Smile like the hungry cave man- it's only natural.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Devil made him do it!

If your squeamish then don't read any further. I have NO qualms about bonking hatchery steelhead and quite frankly derive a very primitive sense of satisfaction upon hearing the perfect hit of a stone against just the "right" spot of a fish's skull... caveman smile.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I rarely fish systems with hatchery steelhead - if I did I would certainly keep a few. I regularly take a few salmon for the freezer when I am fishing runs strong enough to harvest - and fully enjoy the resultant barbacue!
speydoc

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:confused: So....?:(

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
That's the steelhead version of a halibut chicken,the little one's taste better. I suspect the little fella was trying to get it on with your fly not eat it.:saevilw: :saevilw:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya... that's right. A chicken steelhead :hihi: So there! :razz:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well maybe if you didn't use that frickin' Ogopogo Cast there would still be fish around when your fly swings through :Eyecrazy:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts