Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the above rod via the classifieds here and thought I would see what reels members have paired with it as well as their preferred skagit and scandi lines so as to compare against the grain windows on cfbflyrods.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Call Kerry Burkheimer regarding 7125-3 and ask ( based on serial number) if this is an older or newer version. I believe the newer may be somewhat stronger. The same with 7127-4.

The taper of the new one may be a bit different from the older rod.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I only fished mine for winter fish on the Oregon coast and threw 450-480 Skagit lines. I don't have any experience with scandi heads and this rod. This rod is amazing though. One of the many I have bought and have since sold but should have kept :cool:

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I use a Hardy Marquis salmon 1 and a airflo 450 skagit for winter and a Snowbee 2D for summer dryline with a couple feet removed from midbelly of line. It is around 530 grns and 60' long. My rod was made in the fall of 2005 Fantastic rod! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I'm not sure on the weight, but I fit scandis, skagits, running line and 150 yes 30lb dacron on a Taupo. I think it would be a nice balance as well.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
If this is on older one, then for scandi head only 425-435 gr. Keep in mind that Aiflo of similar weight exert a bit more load on the rod due to a slightly more weight in the rear 10-12' of the head, as compare to Rio Scandi.

If you like to load the rod deeper, then use a bit more grain of course. For a regular floating line an older Delta 6/7 is perfect ( 480-490/48'). Enjoy the rod. :):)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It's unlikely that one is going to run into an older version as very few were made , half a dozen at the very most. Probably 3 or 4 would be more accurate. The older version was simply a slower butt, it was sped up after just a month or two.

480 Skagit. And scandis from 420 - 480. I have even talked to people who liked the 390.

The rod was designed with the 6-7-8 windcutter and the 6-7 midspey
I used to fish the rod with the 6-7 xlt but that was very taxing on such a short light rod, but it would do it.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Rob,

I have heard ( possible it was wrong statement) that 7125-3 was modified in the recent 1-2 years.

By an older version I meant rods made between 2006/7 and the recent change, if such really occurred.

The 2006-7 rod I am familiar with was not slow, actually crispier then 7133-3.

Are you thing about the very original 7125-3 ?

Does the current 7125-3 have the same taper as 2006/7 rod ? If yes, it means there was not any meaningful modification since at least 2006.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What setups with the Nextcast?

I use a Nextcast WA 45 in the 5/6 weight on mine. 470 grains, and it is pure awesome. Fantastic rod!
FeHedder#5 - what is your typical setup with the WA 45 (e.g. polyleaders, tips, tippet, etc.)? I'm thinking of picking one up for use here on the east coast based off reviews on the site but have never come across or cast their lines before.

·
loco alto!
3,072 Posts
the CFB 7125 with Fall Favorite 45 5/6 is my go-to summer setup, an outstanding combination. I use a 12' mono leader. The WA45 is the same line, looped, and in 5/6 casts easiest with lighter tips like T-8. You can push more weight with clean technique. The 7125 is also my primary winter rod for tight quarters, where I use even shorter lines. I like reels of 7.5 - 8.5 oz (empty) on it. Enjoy the rod, a real classic.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i have a 7127 and have been using a salmon 1 with a AF 420 scandi (different rod so different line)...

your best bet is to go to your local shop and demo some lines as I have found burkies to be very different for every person, when I first got mine I put up the same post with 10 different suggestions. I wasted a good bit of money trying to find the right line. Oh, I tried a skagit last week on it for the first time last week and surprisingly it felt best with the same weight as I throw with a scandi, weird...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts