Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So because of the advise on version #1, I tried to capture the long straight back of the dee flies with a Carrie Stevens streamer hook 6x instead of the "hunched" appearance that an AJ spey hook creates. The wings of heron wing feathers are not well matched, though almost same length fibers and from the same bird, and also the wings are just a bit too short for my liking. And yes the head got a little crowded. Besides that I fixed a few details in the last version that I was not satisfied with: A different tail, now guinea wing fibers (instead of black buck tail), veiled with grey sparrow black and white neck feather, also I have worked in some silver tinsel section seperators, and replaced the burned goose with black heron shoulder. Better but still not perfect ;-)

Knæk og bræk
Søren

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I think the hook here made the difference.

I was just looking at some Dee patterns as tied by Harry Lemire. He did not always use the typical long-shank Dee Iron with the Limerick bend either. He swapped back and forth between styles of hooks in all of his dressing actually and by the looks of it - he even used a humped spey hook (the AJ hook?) for several dee patterns. If you take a look at his [Harry Lemire's Green Tag] it's very clear that he adjusted the proportions on the hook to suit the style and still achieved the profile. That is what I wanted to get across in your first version.

Still - this is another very well done dressing. The amount of detail and your precision is outstanding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts