Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recall reading a review about Sage Spey rods a while back. In it, someone said "The Reel seat is a piece of junk." When I first purchased my Sage Spey rod with the cork/metal reel seat (from what is now the DC'ed line of rods), I kinda liked the reel seat, but I figured out recently why some people think the Reel seat is a real POS. Recently, the top metal notch where you put your reel foot in before uplocking the reel in the seat, has started to "swivel," and I can turn it around 360 degrees. Is this something that is bound to happen given the design of the reel seat? It's not really a huge problem, all I have to do is really cinch the reel in there good by uplocking it tightly, but I guess it's one of those things that annoys you slightly after a while. Anyone have any expierience with this problem? Still a great rod though, the reel just isn't very happy because it is having it's foot mashed.

What can I do to fix this? Does it have to be sent in to Sage? (if you've had the same problem).

Scott

·
Registered
465 Posts
Scott,
This sounds more like a problem with the construction of the rod than with the actual components. Sounds as though the cement bonding the forward portion of the reel seat to the blank has failed.

I'm not sure how one could get some expoxy or other cement in their to re-attach it. I'd send it back rather than try to fix it yourself.

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Hello Scott,

Those generations of SAGE Spey reel seats looked great but often broke down like you say.

The way to go is to compress the cork with a table knife (ot other blunt tool) so you create a gap large enough to let a good drop of super glue be sucked up underneath the revolving metal ring. (Be careful to have it aligned!!)

"Tight lines!"

Per

·
Registered
96 Posts
Scott , You should send back to sage, if you try super glue, you will void the warranty even though a drop of super glue will not be why your rod may break. Just saw a friend go through this type of a problem replacing a broken stripping guide.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I was told by a rod builder buddy that the high-end components (Struble, etc) Sage uses sometimes came in defective in that the "hood" which you mention was either out of line or not affixed properly. He sent the components back to Struble for replacements. In his opinion, the component supplier messed up.

I had a similar problem with my old 7136-4 so sent it back to Bainbridge Island. Sage service has been nothing short of amazing to me over the years.

If you look at the new seats used on the 7141 I think the POS opinion would change... I can't wait to buy that rod even though I really have no need for another in that bracket.

The seat on the bigger Sage 2hndrs I own are super-tough - the 10150-4 for instance.

Curious, which model are you referring to?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
If not mistaken that's the same handle I have on my 9126-3 and my 10150-4. Cork inside with silver uplocking hardware, double lock on the lower rings. I haven't had any problem with mine at all - but like someone suggested I think sending it back to their service department is the way to go if you have a problem.

Good luck and I hope you get a good resolution!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts