Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, i have just started fishing my new rod and find myself 2 handed overhead casting most of the time. i use a rio midspey 67 with tip #2 removed. this works all right but seems like it could be better.since i am a rank beginner on spey or 2 hand overhead casting do i just need to practice more with the midspey? the rod is a wonderfull smallmouth pole, i absolutely love it.
Thanks for any help.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
My favorite floating overhead line on that rod is the hardy mach 1 8/9. Perfect length for overhead work and it spey casts wonderfully as well. Very easy to throw the whole line.

That is a killer rod.

-sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have this rod and I have tied a number of line on it. The Hardy Mach I as mentioned above matches this rod well. For overhead casting I have been using the Airflo Bank Master 7/8 or 8/9 with either a standard leader or with Airflo polyleaders.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Long belly WF8

Should work well for overhead. I have used the Cortland 444 and the RIO SAS #8.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
sean said:
My favorite floating overhead line on that rod is the hardy mach 1 8/9. Perfect length for overhead work and it spey casts wonderfully as well. Very easy to throw the whole line.

That is a killer rod.

-sean
This line is also a great match for the Sage 7136-4 'Greenie.' Lovely all day summer run rod/line combo.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"This line is also a great match for the Sage 7136-4 'Greenie.' Lovely all day summer run rod/line combo."

Fred, what is the weight of this line?

Does it cast better on the 7136 than say the MS 7/8?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took the rod out again today using the mid spey 6/7 without tip 2, my overhead casting was not so good at first but then i slowed my casting stroke down a bit and wow what a change, the line flew "for me anyways" out the guides. i am still thinking about buying the hardy mach1 line also though, since i have a dan craft FT 10ft 8wt that needs a line. that way i can try it an the meiser rod also. thanks for all the replys.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Smurf,

Glad you remembered about removing tip two on the Rio MS 6/7 for the 11'7" for overhead delivery.

This set-up will also work for classic change-of-direction shooting head deliveries equally as well.

The Hardy Mach-1 Salmon series are awesome lines, but if your looking to try another line, and have a hard time getting the Hardy Mach-1 for 340 grains at 8/9 wt (they seem to be as rare as hens teeth these days)...Consider the new Rio Outbound Shooting Head Series.

...For the 11'7"<> 375 grains....Check Rio's tables.

We've been messing around with these lines for the 13' and under rods, utilizing them both as overhead and Scando style shooting heads.

The belly length is just right, the grain distribution is perfect for both deliveries....And most importantly: They fish really well.

The 10' 8 wt. FT will like this line as well, as the total belly length is not to long to easily manage with the 10' to 12' rods.

We've been real happy with these lines, and am now suggesting these as a readily available alternative to the Mach-1 Salmon lines.

Meiz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks mister meiser, your rods are fantastic, i think i will talking to you soon about a switch rod. and thanks to everybody for all your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts