Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want ot patrol the Lake Michigan beaches this summer, and I am looking for a line to overhead cast on my T&T 1409-3. Any suggestions? Rio Scando or Accelerater ? Should I try and match the same # of grains that I like for actual spey casting with this other system? What, if any, are the disadvantages to just using my WC 9/10/11 that I already own?
PLEASE HELP:D

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Hey bro,

Hows the weather up in your neck of the woods?

I have dabbled with that a bit. Not on that rod, but a few others. I would look in the 450grain range, around 35-40ft. Maybe a skagit 7/8 with an intermediate 9wt tip. Or look at Rios web site and find one of the Outbounds in that range. Maybe I can slip up at some point and trudge the ssand with you. The hours before and just after sunrise have been my best times.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Spey grains is not equal to overhead grains since with spey casting you are not using the whole lines weight to load the rod.

I have this rod and would look at the 13wt RIO Outbound shooting taper. The 14wt also works on the rod as well. Just depends on what type of load you are looking for on the rod. Simon G at RIO could also help as he uses T&Ts and I am sure he has thrown this rod overhead as well.

As far as overhead and two handers the outbounds are the best and provide a lot of different line weights in the outbound series. Airflo has the beach tamer line which is nice but it may be too heavy on that rod.

-sean

·
Registered
889 Posts
I was thowing it overhead with an SA Tarpon floater #11 last spring for kicks. For how I like a rod loaded this worked pretty well. For max distance I would suggest moving up to a #12 in single hand terms.

William

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yes the rod can probably do it but it will not be as pleasant as using a lighter line. Overhead casting puts a much more sustained and deeper load on a rod than just doing a snap T with the same amount of grains. Even on a snap T some of the line remains in the water. Not all the grains are lifted and they are lifted in a slow and controlled manner. All the grains never come into play.

A rod weighted for 400grs will not be able to properly move and set up an 800gr line (with the whole head outside the tiptop).
Not necessarily true. I have seen and cast a T&T 1307 with a 750 skagit and 300 grain big boy and it worked well. Try overheading that and the rod would snap in two. In fact alot of the skagit setups people are using on thier rods I would not reccomend they throw overhead or single spey for that matter.

-sean

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Not sure why you are arguing this but my point is simple. In the vast majority of the situations I feel you are better off overheading a lighter line than you spey cast. That is it. Sure you can overhead a lot of lines that you can spey cast as well but for best performance downsize your grains.

As to the T&T it casts a 6/7 midspey beautifully which is what the rod is rated for and it comes in at 490 grains. So neither your A or B is right in this case. Yes the line was fully outside the guides.

A lot of guys at the Golden Gate casting club have cast and fished this combo. Would I fish it...probably not but it just goes to show with the advent of these short skagit heads rods take way more grains than any rod manufacturer imagined. Just do not overhead them.

-sean

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CCCold and Snowy

Jamey McLeod said:
Hey bro,

Hows the weather up in your neck of the woods?

QUOTE]
The snow is deep(2.5 feet in like four days!), and it is in the single digits as I write this. It would be great to have you come up this summer...early morning misery loves company, or something like that! I have been told about a few places to fish, and a few others to camp and fish...which would make the getting up part easier!!!

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks...

Thanks for the info...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts