Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently had discussion about tinsels but I want to bring this topic once again.

When I started tying I used UTC french oval and I hated it because it was very brittle. Metallic coating would scrape of by just running the damn thing through the fingers. UTC - out the door...

Then I switched to UNI-French oval. At first I really liked it. Strong, manageable, good color, ect. Everything I wanted from oval tinsel was there until I noticed that medium and large would "open" itself up on the first turn especially if used over floss or flat tinsel. Unacceptable.

Never tried others. I know Lagurtun is favored by many but is out of market right now. So, what else is out there..? Veevus worth a shot? Is it small enough for tag tips?

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
I use UTC French and have noticed similar problems. I find that minding the angle you tie in at is the only fix for the splitting issue. I don't think there is any question that Lagartun is the best. I will slowly but surely be switching over as mine run out.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Veevus is good stuff, but I wish they made a size smaller than their small. I don't like really fine tips/tags, especially on larger flies, but their small oval tinsel is too large for small flies.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Veevus is good stuff, but I wish they made a size smaller than their small. I don't like really fine tips/tags, especially on larger flies, but their small oval tinsel is too large for small flies.
How does Veevus small oval compares to UNI small and x small? I love UNI x small for tips.

I guess I just gotta try it to find out...

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
I use nothing but uni. Not sure what's going wrong with the material. I have never had a problem. Full oval tinsel bodies, weather French or standard oval no issues

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UNI in medium and large tends to open up on the first turn for me... right at the joint where you put a bend to your tinsel to start your first wrap core exposes itself. It is a minimal issue but it bothers me to some degree. I feel that there is a better product out there. I'll call my guy to see if he can get me some Veevus :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
uni is fine... it opening up is such a tiny detail that i would focus on smoother bodys, better proportions, nicer hooks etc before i ever worried about that. save your money. one fish and its messed up anyway. are you tying display flies?

i like veevus too, its very good quality. only had one spool of medium though, so cant comment on others sizes.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hooks, proportions, and other subjects is another matter.... :D

Tinsel is used in practically in every classic spey or dee fly and it would be a shame to skimp out on $0.05 piece of tinsel when you wrap a $3 feather on $2 hook :tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I use Uni and Veniards amoung others because I have them on fishing flies. But have Lagartun for treating myself to very nice tinsels. Will have to try Veevus. I like the thread, but haven't tried their tinsel yet.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Been looking into securing the rights for Lagartun but the woman that owns the rights now moved to Sweden and won't talk to anyone at this time.

I will keep trying to reach out and secure some sort of business relationship but I guess I will let things cool down a bit.

I don't like losing it's just not in my nature and keeping the Lagartun out there is eating at my soul.

KC

·
Registered
879 Posts
Been looking into securing the rights for Lagartun but the woman that owns the rights now moved to Sweden and won't talk to anyone at this time.

I will keep trying to reach out and secure some sort of business relationship but I guess I will let things cool down a bit.

I don't like losing it's just not in my nature and keeping the Lagartun out there is eating at my soul.

KC
Good luck! Keep chipping away at the old broad!! :smokin: :hihi:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Uni oval is pretty good stuff just strip the tinsel part off of the core with your thumb nail and you're left with a single strand of "wire" and the core. now tie in the striped core up to the "good" tinsel now there's less bulk at the hinge so it won't split. I do that with my lagartun as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts