Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Spey Pages doesn't have an Off Topic thread and since this is a little self promotional, I thought I'd post it here. If the mods find it inappropriate and need to delete it, I am fine with that. I suspect it will pass out of active interest quickly, in any case.

I was recently asked to do a long distance interview with a gentleman--Mr. Ville Raivio--who operates a blog out of Finland addressing classic men's styles. The interview arose just as he is taking the blog international.

Some of his previous interviews have been with Bernhard Roetzel, G. Bruce Boyer, Karl Matthews, Alan Flusser, Will Boehlke and Luca Rubinacci , among others. And while those names don't mean much to a rather isolated, semi-retired old snab such as myself, the names will resonate with anyone who keeps abreast of the fashion world and considers himself well dressed.

It occurred to me that some here might enjoy it--KEIKARI.COM 24 Feb.2013

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Great read DW, thanks for posting. Exctremely well done peice. I learned quite a little bit. I had a pair of Paul Bonds at one time but I know they are not even in the same league as Frommers. Do you have any arthritic problems etc from all of those years of working with your hands? I have a friend who is a very talented saddlemaker. I worked with him a little and discovered that at times it could be pretty hard work, especially on the hands.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great read DW, thanks for posting. Exctremely well done peice. I learned quite a little bit. I had a pair of Paul Bonds at one time but I know they are not even in the same league as Frommers. Do you have any arthritic problems etc from all of those years of working with your hands? I have a friend who is a very talented saddlemaker. I worked with him a little and discovered that at times it could be pretty hard work, especially on the hands.
Tim,

Thanks.

No arthritis that I know of. Sometimes I ache in one joint or the other but not only is the pain fairly minor, it usually disappears in short order. Typing is actually more aggravating. That said, you know how stooped over I am--that's a result of my work, no question.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for the article.

As someone who has put the effort into learning and using "old school" methods of the trade I work in, simply for the reasons of wanting to do the job properly and right, its clear there is a whole lot more being said in your story than boot making. When you commit to that path, eventually you learn the values you earn and respect simply aren't about what, but rather how. Three simple words; integrity, toil and peace; yet so few understand.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not really intended as a "bump" but...

The blog author at Keikari.com recently added the film clip from Oregon Public Broadcasting's ArtBeat. I don't know when he did that but the interview wasn't originally published with it. Now that I see it again, I realized that the ArtBeat piece was probably 10+ years ago. I sure looked good back then. :cool: Dang, time passes fast when you're having fun...or not looking.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Dang, time passes fast when you're having fun...or not looking.
A lot of truth to that!

My GF and I both really enjoyed the article, thanks for posting the link. I admire your values.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
432 Posts
Just looked it up. The starting price of a pair of hie boots is $1500.00 so with lots of detail on them I''ll bet you could hit $3,000.00 bucks real easy.
Bjay

·
Spey Fool
89 Posts
Great article. It is wonderful to see someone who still makes a great product by hand using the finest techniques and materials. When are you going to start making bamboo fly rods :)

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
THAT was enjoyable. What a wonderful thing to have been able to work most of your life doing something you are passionate about. I currently live in Billings...always nice to hear about someone getting some inspiration from my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
200 Posts
DW; Thanks for sharing this great career and passion! Your artisan ship is only surpassed by your eloquence! How about showing us some of you block leather reel cases! LOL

Cheers,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts