Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use ostrich as feelers or tail on intruder style fly. But instead of ostrich, can I use Rhea as tail? In this case, Rhea has less vol or bulky than ostrich, so how much or how many p'cs should I use?
How do you tye yours? thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Rhea is great if you don't mind the price. As for ostrich being bulky - only before it gets wet. Once wet its really quite fine and is excellent on the Intruder as it creates an alluring and subtle movement within the pheasant tail rear hackle.

I think that if the fly you are tying features a flowing and quite long look that Rhea would be the better choice, but for the shorter look - like in the traditionally tied Intruder - I think ostrich is still best.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hei,

Can you provide me with a good source for quality ostrich and rhea? Most of the ostric I find over here in Norway are very limp and fluffy, and rhea is very difficult to find at all.

Knut

·
Registered
19 Posts
Roadkill rheas.......

Rhea is great if you don't mind the price.
I didn't realize Rhea was such a great material; I could bring back a suitcase full.

What part of the Rhea gives the most suitable feathers?

When last in Argentina, I found a dead one by the river (Puma kill?); plenty of road kills too I would imagine; but they are otherwise protected & can't be shot.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Rhea & Ostrich feather sources...

Try to find a local bird farmer, or someone who owns these birds...feathers always dropping off & are usually available for sale thereafter.

Just a thought.

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
gonner-rhea

Perhaps this one is a bit ripe :eek: :eek: :eek:

If I find a fresher one; which feathers should I harvest?

Patagonian fly dressers don't seem to use them, as they are percieved to be brittle.

Advice needed please.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have experimented with both and found that it depends on what the application is and what look I want.I prefer ostrich for those wiggly free floating feeler for soft water and rhea for faster water.I had acumulated boxes of ostrich over the years and had a hard time buying more. I ran into Todd(upstream adventures)at the Bellvue flyshow last year and discovered that all ostrich is not created equal. Most ostrich is too webby and brittle but Todds stuff was not.His colors and dyes are superior to anything I have ever seen.I have also called him about doing special colors for me and he always surpasses my expectations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts