Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reposting this, maybe someone can offer an opinion of this rod Orvis clearwater switch, 12' - 5wt & if u have one what type of lines r u using,
thanks in advance

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just bought this rod but have not cast it yet. I have it paired with a sage domain 8 and beulah elixir v2 375. Will let you know as soon as i have chance to use it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a chance to use the rod this weekend. I really like the way it casts with the rage 390. I caught a small steelhead (approx 7lbs) with it and it was a blast. The rod was able to handle the fish without issue.

However I feel that it's probably a bit too much rod for targeting trout. It will certainly work, and I'm sure it will be fun to fish, but I was hoping for a lighter feel considering this is a 5wt.

I may sell it and look for something lighter. Not sure yet though.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Haven't casted that Rod but a 390 rage seems a bit on the heavy side for a 5wt. I'm using 340 Scandi and 360 Skagit for my 5. Maybe it's more on the light 6 end.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agree that 390 is heavy, but that's what orvis recommended.

My intended use for this rod is for trout and it feels a bit stiff for that. But I've never had a 5 wt spey rod so don't really have anything to compare it to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts