Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What weight Orvis Type 1 Short Head floating line matches well with the CND Custom 13-foot 8/9 rod? I am looking for the Orvis line weight designation rather than grain weight, though the latter would be welcome as well. I think the Orvis Short Head is akin to the SA Short Head. I posted this question on the FlyFishingForum as well, so if you have answered it there, no need to repeat your answer here. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
line wt

Smolt I have a new 9wt short head orvis line at home I can weigh it tonight and send you the grain weight so youcan compare it to the grain weight of a sa short head which is posted under the loomis line specs I think.
if that will help.
Erik

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SSpey,

If you are correct -- and that should be confirmed with the info from Rambo -- then it would appear that the Orvis Type 1 Short Head size 8 will be what I am looking for.

Thanks

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
mesurements

so here is what I came up with
Orvis short head floating spey 9wt = 56ft 7 in at 653 grains
sa short head 8/9 wt 51 ft and 650 grains (from Gloomis line data.)
hope this helps
Rambo

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hey Smolt,

Looks like you found your man.

I contacted a friend who has a friend in hq (VT) and they did not provide any info stating this line was discontinued. However, looking at the info here the line appears to be a very good match (tapers notwithstanding) in the 9wt short.

KEWL

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Juro. Without your input, I was going to buy the 8-weight. I understand you likely won't be able to make it to the clave in Muskegon in April, but I hope to cross paths with you some other time this season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts