Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have 2 of these on the way. They are labeled as WF6 and WF7. I am assuming that these are the equivalent of the SA short head lines 6/7 and 7/8. Orvis info could not tell me much about these lines because they are being discontinued. Anybody have these lines?

Thanks

Gary

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I don't use the SA lines so I can't help you there, but I can tell you that the 8 wt functions perfectly on rods that work well with a windcutter 8/9/10. Feels a tad lighter to cast, in a very good way. Only trouble I'm having is the line is so slick that sometimes the running line slips from my grip on the forward stroke. I'm getting used to it and it's only like every 15 casts or so, but it's always surprising.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
i bought two of the orvis lines because of the confusion caused by no head weight specs available. after going around in circles with orvis [mostly with the AFTMA system being the focus] it just seemed the best bet to be sure of getting the one i needed.

it appears to me by total head weight & using calipers @ 5' intervals that the orvis 8 is the same as SA's 7/8 short, which i had one of to compare too.

i never checked the orvis 7 once the 8 matched up. try to post back what you find when they arrive, i'm still curious. SG

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, got the lines

and I just measured and weighed them.

WF6F is about 385 grains and 48' head.
WF7F is about 490 grains and 51' head.

I guess I need one of Meiser's 5/6 rods to use the WF6F line.

Gary

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Voodoofly,

I have the Meiz 1356 rod setup with the Loop Adapted line 8/9 432 grain low float. This rod is incredible and will throw the Loop line with a tips up to t-14 (9' to 15') with no problem. It casts very well with short or shooting or scandinavian heads!

Vinnie

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vinnie

I had the priviledge of fishing the 1356 rod for a couple of weeks along with the 13' 6/7. I bought the 13' 6/7. I'll eventually get one of Bob's 4/5/6 rods.

Gary

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Sweet! Here at Aaron's shop he has a spey clinic every Saturday and every Saturday I cast the Meiser rods over anything else. They are wonderfully made rods and so sweet to cast.

Vinnie

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I'll second that!

My next rod will be the Meiser 12'6" 4/5/6. Awesome light trout spey! I have the 1356 and will echo your raves. I love the rod!

Meiser is taking it to the next level. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts