Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that Orvis has come out with a reasonably high capacity reel, the upper end of a series called "Mach." It interests me because it isn't as expensive as a lot of others. Has anyone seen one of these ? Our local shop won't have them for a while. The claimed capacity is 300 yds of 30# backing with a WF13 line.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Greg,

Where did you find the capacity specs for the Orvis Mach series?

I was unable to find it on the Orvis web site.

Orvis is a wonderful company to do business with. No effort is spared to satisfy customers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I saw the specs in the latest Orvis catalog. I thought the same. Good price and plenty of backing. Be interested in the responses..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mach reels

I've just finished talking to the PR person for Orvis, and she said the reels aren't out yet. The prototypes I saw at the fly show looked good-- but then they were prototypes. The Orvis Battenkill (?) bar stock reels have one model in spey size, and they're even less expensive.

Keith

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The catalog has reel dimensions and capacities. When Orvis first released the Battenkill Large Arbors, they very substantially overstated capacities. Orvis later backed off. Hopefully the claims for the Mach are reasonably close.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From what I've read in their Spring Flyfishing catalog, Orvis indicates the Mach reel holds much more backing than their large arbor Battenkill and I've read that they have discontinued the Vortex reel which held more backing but was heavier. I didn't see the Mach reel in my Orvis shop when I visited last week, though. It looks good in the catalog, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts