Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appreciate any experience, wisdom or advice on the strengths and weaknesses of this rod. I’m looking for a trout Spey/switch for swinging. This will fit in the quiver as the lightest TH rod, so far....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Buy the rod. The H2 switch rods are a different creature and take some figuring out but when you have your heads, tips, and casting stroke figured out the rod will crank. I can't help you with the 5 wt but I have the 7 and 8. They are tippy but will bend down deep and have lots of power. The converse of deep power is the H2 will really like a scandi line and can cast off the tip in a nice way. Research Spey Pages and see what you can find about the 5 wt. Im a big fan of the H2 two hand rods especially the longer spey sizes.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The H2 series were excellent. Had they made longggg.... versions, they could have kept me away from Beulah and Meiser, but alas they only produced uniform 11' switch models. I need 14' or longer, and perhaps the blanks didn't perform as well in longer configurations. Never heard of long versions from europe.
I recently sold the 5wt H2 switch, not because it wasn't a very fine rod, just too light and short for me. Liked an AFS integrated, liked a SA mid-spey, liked a scandi compact with light tips.
1-2 lbs smallies felt like monsters on this rod!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you !! That is the feedback I was looking for. The discontinued series had me a little concerned.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would have tried out an Orvis Mission had they done anything in the 8wt range for 14' to 16' but they maxed out at 13'6", for which I already have a custom Meiser CX. They look and feel pretty decent, but I guess the long rod game remains with the custom shops and cultists, not enough market share for the big boys to bother.

Since the OP was looking for an ultra-light trout setup, he's bang-on with a 5wt H2 switch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought it! Nice package, very lightly used with loaded Battenkill, scandi line and tips. Should be a fun journey!! Thanks for the info, I really needed the encouragement! 🤥

1 - 9 of 9 Posts