Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone tried the new orvis series of spey rods? was wondering what weight of line would be best for the 13ft 6 ins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
orvis double-handed

I am wondering the same thing. Sorry I have no answer. Orvis claims the rod is faster than the Trident. You may have already seen this:
<orvis site>
I like the price. I'm curious to find out if it's a nice rod.
riverrat

your post has been editted to reflect forum guidelines concerning sponors

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since my first post, i have had the opportunity to try the rod with a DT9 floating line and a DT8 slow intermediate.
Both lines worked well with probably my preference leaning towards the DT8... the action appeared to be faster and i was also able to arielise more line.

The rod is extremely well finished and feels very light in the hand.So far i am well pleased. May try an 8/9 spey line soon.Any suggestions as to make?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Orvis 13' 6"

Hi,

I have had this rod lined up with a Rio Mid-Spey 7/8 for summer fishing over the last month or so.

I chose a 7/8 as, in my experience, I find the Rio lines tend to act one size bigger than they actually are.

The combination works well for me on all casting styles with a few feet of the mid-spey belly inside the rod rings.

The rod itself is definitely mid-flex and not too fast which suits my style ( I normally use a B/W Norway 10/11 with multi-tip Mid-Spey 10/11). The 13'6" Orvis is a good weight (not too light at 9 3/8 Oz), meaning the rod has sufficient inertia to flex and load well during the casting strokes and also have confidence in should you hook a big fish. The finish, reel seat are good and the handle is very comfortable.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"The combination works well for me on all casting styles with a few feet of the mid-spey belly inside the rod rings."

What is it with the MS lines that seem to require this positioning of a few feet of the belly inside the tips?

I have found this to be critical with my Sage 6126 and 7141 and my ARC 1409 with my MS 7/8 with tips and w/o tips, with standard long leaders or with furled leaders. I have marked my line with a permanent marker. It casts best when the mark/end of the belly is @ mid point . This is not a factor with the W/C's and Grand Speys with these rods. I can usually cast the whole head/belly outside the rod tip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I lawn cast the Orvis 13-6 8/9 at the Sandy clave, first with an Orvis 8spey and then with the Orvis9. I found that the rod liked the 9 better and really had a good feel to it. The rep agreed with me. How the Orvis lines cross reference with Rio and Air-flo, I have no idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts