Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a chance to cast the orvis clearwater spey? I had a chance to cast the 13' 7wt and was super impressed with how well it threw line (I had a shorter head on). I really liked them, especially considering the price. Anyone else have a chance to try one?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The Orvis rep. gave us a Clearwater 13ft 7wt for our classes this past May.

Very nice casting design,,,, we like the RIO Scandi 450gr and Skagit 525-550gr lines on the rod.

Many of the lower priced rods do not match up with the Clearwater.

Regards,
FK
Spey Casting North East

·
slipped away to grey...
748 Posts
They absolutely rock....

For the price, they cannot be beat, not even close... in my opinion...

I liked them so much, purchased three of the 13' 7wt models to use for guiding and would happily fish them myself as well "I do", as a pure fishing tool, they are great...

I know fishing rods are largely judged by personal preference, but these rods are very nice, have yet to hand it to anyone that doesn't like it. I think they are MUCH nicer then the Helios spey rods in all honesty... The tapers just seemed very well designed to me and I have absolutely nothing to gain by saying any of this...

I mainly toss 520 grain SA INT skagit heads on mine, great combination...

·
Registered
744 Posts
How do these rods compare to the TFO Deer Creek Series with regard to action and flex?

I'd like to try one and I have a friend looking to get into spey fishing -- this might be just the rod.

Thanks!

·
slipped away to grey...
748 Posts
How do these rods compare to the TFO Deer Creek Series with regard to action and flex?

I'd like to try one and I have a friend looking to get into spey fishing -- this might be just the rod.

Thanks!
The Clearwater to me are more progressive in flex and the Deer Creek are more regressive.

I am sure if you requested a demo rod to try before you buy from Orvis, they would make it happen and I bet TFO would do the same.

·
slipped away to grey...
748 Posts
Snapped one last weekend. Ferrules don't stay put as well as the higher end rods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't notice any difference in the fit of the ferrules in comparison to any of my high end rods.

I just wax the ferrules on them like I do all rods, never had one come loose...

·
Registered
79 Posts
played around with one a couple of times 13ft 7wt IIRC and really liked it. I have been a pretty hardcore switch guy for a while and never really never needed a longer spey rod but the Orvis will be on the short list when I get a longer rod.

J-

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, I was out with Peter Kutzer and Bill Reed of Orvis for a few days on the Rogue this fall. They brought with them the 12’ 5wt, 12’6 6wt, 13’ 7wt and 13’6 8wt. They are all smooth progressive medium fast plus rods. If you are familiar with their switch rods then you will notice a similarity in taper. They have an impressive speed of recovery for a rod in this price range. They have also improved their handle shape. Overall I would say a pretty good effort from Orvis and will be hard to beat in that price range.
I will tell you what really blew my socks off. They had with them the new large arbor Battenkill spey reels. Click drag with a mighty fine purr and price point that is kind of unbelievable. I think they will be out with them after the new year and offer them as a package deal with the spey rod.
If you know me you know that I am a Meiser guy and I prefer deep loading actions but I take my hat off to a solid effort from Orvis.

Darrell

·
Registered
372 Posts

Thanks!
Orvis doesn't really have demos, I've asked. But what they do have is a 30-day, bring it back policy. You buy, you don't like, you bring it back. I was told this personally here in Bellevue Orvis, twice, when I bought my Access switch, and when I was looking at the Hydros Spey. Link below to their refund policy. Not too many companies do that.

http://www.orvis.com/s/orvis-100-satisfaction-guarantee-warranty/111

·
Terry C
17 Posts
Picked up a Clearwater 7130 2 weeks ago and have been trying different lines on it. It casts a 480 scandi and a 525 skaget well,for grinns I also tried my 520 rio switch chucker that I use on my switch rod and to my suprise it was great. Plan on giving it a work out this weekend on the Salmon River. Hopefully I will get a few tugs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts