Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orvis CFO VI Reel made by Hardy for Orvis somewhere between 1979-1986 probably one of the scarcest of the CFO's (aside from the limited production models). The reel is 4" in diameter, approx 9.25 ounces and will hold a DT10 with close to 300 yards of backing. This reel is in great condition with a few minor scratches. $350 plus shipping to the lower 48 states. Line not included. PM thru this site.

Attachments

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Very sweet reel, and you sure don't see them everyday in that size. Alot like the Hardy Ultralite Salmon.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
It pre-dates the Ultralight by a good few years, I don't believe that there was an equivalent reel sold under the Hardy brand. Looking at the central boss to support the spindle & the off-set ratchet adjustment lever, the design appears very similar to the Marquis in operation [also with the exposed rim for palming as per Marquis]; but I seem to recall that the CFO was machined from aluminium bar stock, whereas I believe the Marquis was machined from an initial casting. The drilling / porting to both spool & reel back , unlike the Marquis where only the face of the spool is drilled out, should further reduce the weight of the reel - a good solid well made piece of kit though.

Regards, Tyke.

·
loco alto!
2,978 Posts
how to hijack a post

the CFO VI was cast, then machined, like all the older Hardy reels. The JLH was machined from bar stock.

the location of rivets on the CFO is similar to the Marquis Salmon, but the spring configuration and actuation is a bit different. And the JLH setup is slightly different and has a reliably stronger check that can loosen rivets

the spindle on the CFO and Marquis are similar, the JLH is fatter (and maybe aluminum?)

the CFO and JLH have line guards, the Marquis doesn't

the JLH has a slightly larger capacity than the Salmon 2 and CFO VI, from a wider spool

the JLH is the lightest of the bunch by roughly 1 - 1.5 oz, but if you pile on extra backing (due to the larger capacity), the weight difference narrows

I love them all, with their simple check. The CFO is the poor man's Bogdan. if I didn't have mine, I'd be all over this one

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Thanks for the clarification sspey, I was going from memory & at that time Orvis were not a major player for salmon tackle over here & so my recollection was hazy at best, they were much more associated with trout gear & I remember the old 10ft # 7 wt Western was very popular for many years. I agree with you though, these were a nicely made reel.

Regards, Tyke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts