Does anybody know why the orvis battenkill large arbor reel VI
is not available anymore. :mad:
Does anyone ever had any experience with this reel? :confused:

Robert l.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Howdy Robert,

I had a LA 5/6 that i used on a single hand rod and no complaints. The reel handled a 36" king on a 6 wt setup I was using.

I am not sure why they stopped making this reel and to be honest your post is the first news of it to me. There are plenty of other reels out there to consider if these reels are not available. :)

Vinnie

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
I have one!

Awesome reel. HUGE!

the guy I talked to at Orvis (Jeremy something) said that the VI competed too closely with the big expensive Vortex model. He said guys were buying two VI's and two spools for their blue water trips instead of one Vortex.

Then, he said, they were very surprised when the tiny drag on that VI died after one billfish run. A GOOD drag, but not a bluewater drag.

An excellent spey reel up to the 10wt range.

Spools sometimes found on ebay.

Cheers!

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I was just checking out ebay and they had some nice reels for sale. I saw the LA VI, good deal!! I also saw another Hi Tech # 5 from Loop... :) :) :)

Vinnie

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
I have one of the Battenkill VI reels and it is sufficient for what I do. I've also got one of the newer Mach LA VI on backorder right now. The Mach has more backing capacity than the Battenkill did and would be a great alternative if you're looking for a reel at a similar price point. Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Backing capacity was the problem with all the Battenkill LA reels. I am looking forward to the re-release of the Mach model. That reel seems to combine more than ample backing capacity with light weight (unlike the original Vortex, which is also being replaced) and a substantial drag.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Battenkill Large Arbor VI

robert l. said:
Does anybody know why the orvis battenkill large arbor reel VI
is not available anymore. :mad:
Does anyone ever had any experience with this reel? :confused:

Robert l.
It is a great reel. I have one with a spare spool. I use it with my Sage 6126 with the Rio WC 678 with the longer body/head, and the Rio MS 7/8. It a perfect balance for both of them.

When I fish for stripers from a boat. I remove the spey lines and transfer the Rio 350 grain Striper line and the SA Intermediate line to the spools and use the reel with my Meiser 9/10 Switch Rod. Last year on the Friday after Thanksgiving, I use the reel, the Rio 350 grain line and Meiser 9/10 Rod to catch over 24 nice 6-10 pound stripers without a single problem. It rained all day and the river was muddy and had a lot silt. The reel performed perfectly bringing the fish or just to bring in the line to clean the fly or before going to another site in our boat.

The reel has been used to land trout up to 7 pounds and stripers up to 15 pounds. So far it has been bullet proof and is the fastest reel I have re rewinding line with fish on or just bringing it in.

It is a great reel with the Sage 6126 or 7136 or Meiser's 7/8 or 9/10 Switch Rods.

I use it on the surf with my Sage 7141 or Meise's new 8910 surf rod and the Striper lines listed above.

My only complaint is the limited backing that you can put on. Also, the GS 7/8 will not fit even without backing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts